Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Swap Shop Resolution – What’s the right thing to do – Let the forum decide! >

Swap Shop Resolution – What’s the right thing to do – Let the forum decide!

Notices

Swap Shop Resolution – What’s the right thing to do – Let the forum decide!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap Shop Resolution – What’s the right thing to do – Let the forum decide!

I was planning a Alpha SS to B1 swap during the off season.
Accumulated all the parts I needed as they came for sale over the fall and early winter - including a transom assy from a seller on here.
Now is the time to have the work completed – So I drop all parts off to the shop I chose to do the work, The Merc certified mechanic call me and tell me the transom assy is unserviceable, I went to go look at it, and it indeed is trash. Seized pins (Nothing is getting these out) In short, the part is garbage.
Contacted the seller and to tell him about it, the hem hawing starts immediately. Did you do this, that and the other… Yes, yes, and Yes.
I told him - hey, he couldn’t know unless he tried to take it apart before selling it, and I’m not mad at you. Then simply asked how do you want to handle return shipping/refund?
He refuses, and basically tells me to kick rocks, because I bought it from him 5-6 months ago. (Its off season now… Of course it was a few months ago, duh!)
Anyway, I gave him a bad feedback, because I gave him ample opportunity to resolve and he didn’t.
He retaliates with negative BUYER feedback (Which is such a b%#ch move) – Even though I paid immediately upon committing to purchase.
What should be done? Let the forum decide.
Im not a mechanic, don’t claim or try to be – Just a guy with a boat and a regular job. (no time to mess about with this kind of stuff)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

5-6 month down the road? I'd say it's your drive. You had plenty of time to inspect it, but chose not to.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Registered

I would have to say after 5 months, you would own the parts.

The pins will come out. I have removed many a stuck bolt in my time. Heat and lube are your friends. If you want to bring it to Detroit I will get them out for you.

Jeff

On a similar note, I sold a clutch assembly out of my race bike and after the guy recieved it he noticed it needed new springs installed. He let me know and I offered to split the cost. He declined and said he would take care of it.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buyer beware..... there is a lot of junk being sold in the swap section. I am sure that some of it is because the seller does not realize it, most of the time the seller does. I am in the business and know the right questions to ask but have recently bought items (4 distributors) that were not worth the shipping cost even after asking the proper questions and was given the wrong answers......$200.00 in the garbage.

4-5 months would be a problem for anybody on a return even more of a problem on used items.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Registered

I would've at least had them looked at when I got them. And after that amount of time, I don't think I would've contacted the seller. JMHO.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

So you're saying if you bought a motor in the fall because it was priced right, and you get it installed and goto fire it up. And it has a cracked block- you'd say, Welp - I'm sol, it's been a few months?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:32 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flysfloatsor
So you're saying if you bought a motor in the fall because it was priced right, and you get it installed and goto fire it up. And it has a cracked block- you'd say, Welp - I'm sol, it's been a few months?
No, that is not what I or anyone else said. We said you should have looked at the outdrive when you got it. Not 5-6 months later.

Engine? Cracked block? Who said anything about that?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO! What we are saying is that there is no way to verify on your end that you did not install the parts since purchase and cause the problem. Not saying you did but 5-6 months is a whole season for some of us. You should have imeadiately checked out the parts when you recieved them and reported any problems right after delivery, not 6 mos later. Ask the question in reverse. If you sold an engine and 6 mos later the buyer tells you that theres a problem and wants his money back. What are you going to say? This happens all the time. Buyers should check out what they just paid good money for, not wait 6 mos before taking it out of the box.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a $700 pair of used props several years back in Feb ... living in the mid atlantic ... didn't try they till May ... had a 300 rpm split ... found that one prop diameter had been cut 1/4 inch smaller than the other ... my loss ! They were listed as reconditioned ... polished real nice ! Seller claimed he didn't know of any repair and props were a matched set ...
Live and learn ...

Last edited by 737jetmech; 03-19-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

Not what you want to here but you should have looked at them. Also alot of us that buy used stuff are DIY's and would take the time to figure a way to get them unfroze. Your mechanic probably can to but it will cost you more than buying new or if he couldn't he still has to charge you for his time. Don't know the seller but he truly may not have known the parts were junk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.