Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Any Metal Fab Guys-What small plasma cutter? >

Any Metal Fab Guys-What small plasma cutter?

Notices

Any Metal Fab Guys-What small plasma cutter?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Metal Fab Guys-What small plasma cutter?

Looking at the miller spectrum 375x and the lincoln tomahawk 375. The lincoln has a built in air compressor, and the spectrum does not. The miller is dual voltage and the lincoln only 240v. cut rates are about the same. I will be using mostly for HVAC work, 16ga metal mostly and 1/8" angle. I have a permanent air compressor so that is not an issue, but it would be nice not to have to take a large wheel mounted compressor to a job site if required. Thats why the lincoln is getting a thumbs up from me but I dont want to buy an all in one unit and be SOL during a project. The lincoln does have an air port for an aux air compressor so that should get me out of a jam if the internal compressor fails.

LC
Old 04-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Registered

Both are good products. Hypertherm is the best model to get. I have the miller 375 xtreme. I like Miller products more than Lincoln. I have owned migs in Miller and Lincoln, and it seems to me that the Millers are made a little better. The 375 will be major overkill for sheet metal and .125". Get the next smaller unit and it will do you well. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks for the response. But overkill will be better cause we always have that "special project" so if it only cost a few buck more go bigger.

we have a small lincoln mig now for welded duct and it plain sucks. Wire feed wheel jams and jerks and makes for some interesting beads. But it was much cheaper, one of my guys has a hot rod shop and he uses all millers, and when ever it is time do some welding he brings his stuff. The miller branded items just seem much better built. But i have very limited knowledge.

LC
Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

we have a miller with the dual voltage at work and it is great, we run it on 110 a lot and unless you are cutting 1/4 inch it cuts fine. we run it on 220 at one end of the shop but there is no outlet at the other so it is nice to have the dual voltage when you are somewhere with out 220. as for the lincoln welder how old is it? if it is jamming and erratic the liner is probably bad. we have a 110 lincoln that we use most of the time for sheetmetal and just replaced the liner in the gun because of the same issue and it works perfect now.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
we have a miller with the dual voltage at work and it is great, we run it on 110 a lot and unless you are cutting 1/4 inch it cuts fine. we run it on 220 at one end of the shop but there is no outlet at the other so it is nice to have the dual voltage when you are somewhere with out 220. as for the lincoln welder how old is it? if it is jamming and erratic the liner is probably bad. we have a 110 lincoln that we use most of the time for sheetmetal and just replaced the liner in the gun because of the same issue and it works perfect now.
I agree on the liner but also check that you feeder rollers arent to tight causing the weld wire to curve and jam.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Registered

I like my little Hypertherm, Powermax 30 I believe.

The only thing that's makes me wish I'd gone bigger is the feedback circuit for Z control on a CNC burntable.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

check the liner on the lincoln welder in my shop all i run is red 36 years with lincoln and they dont skip a beat. hypertherm for plasma
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

i have a thermal dynamics 25 that i use for alunimum and metal up to 1/4 ''..i also have a lincoln 1000(k2808-1) which will ripe through 1'', a little over kill for what you want to use it for...FAIR WARNING thease will cut your fingers off as well so make sure no body puts their fingers on the back side of what their cutting..
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks guys all good info. I will check the line, we have not replaced it ever. I assume overtime it can wear grooves. And we may be asking too much of it also. I will check out thermal dynamics and hypertherm totally forgot about those brands.

Fixx I owe you a finger. Never thought about it cutting skin just that you don't touch hot stuff. Thankfully all the fab work is done by myself or my hot rod building employee.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a hypertherm. Had it for 3 years with no issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.