Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   EZ OFF on imron (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/294021-ez-off-imron.html)

BERUBE 04-03-2013 07:35 PM

EZ OFF on imron

I would like to remove a painted on name from the hull side of my 28 Aero. I am pretty sure the hull sides have been painted with a name painted on top. If the boat was painted with an imron type paint will EZ off oven cleaner eat away at it? Thanks for any help

POWERPLAY J 04-03-2013 07:48 PM

It shouldn't hurt the Imron but I have had it stain before if left on long enough.

POWERPLAY J 04-03-2013 07:56 PM

Just noticed where your from. What boat is it? I have seen a few older ones around with what looks like sign paint used for the name on the sides or transom. If that is the case then acetone should take it off without harming the Imron.

BERUBE 04-03-2013 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J (Post 3898267)
Just noticed where your from. What boat is it? I have seen a few older ones around with what looks like sign paint used for the name on the sides or transom. If that is the case then acetone should take it off without harming the Imron.

Thanks for your reply, I will try a small section with acetone and maybe a scotch brite pad and see what happens. It is black and grey with pink striping and "Mirage" painted on the side. Even though the colors are quite ugly the boat has great lines and I think the name on the side take away from that.

POWERPLAY J 04-03-2013 08:48 PM

Try a rag before the scotchbrite. Test a small spot to see how much it softens the paint. And be prepared to rub/polish it after. I am close and am a painter. Hit me up and I might be able to stop and take a look. You NEED good gloves with acetone. It is nasty and hits your bloodstream quick.

FIXX 04-03-2013 08:51 PM

You can also use 2500 on a da wet and that will also take it off then buff it..

BERUBE 04-03-2013 09:00 PM

thanks guys, will try acetone with rag on small section. If that doesn't work I will not go any further. It is an old and ugly boat. Just thought it might look less ugly without that obnoxious name on the side.

commandersander 04-03-2013 09:01 PM

Have imron on mine....hard as nails....

Remember one thing, no matter how it was put on ( spray, hand) you will see the remnants of whatever you remove if it has been on for a year or more....

Can't see the design on my hull looking strait on, but at an angle....it's there."

stevesxm 04-05-2013 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by commandersander (Post 3898334)
Have imron on mine....hard as nails....

Remember one thing, no matter how it was put on ( spray, hand) you will see the remnants of whatever you remove if it has been on for a year or more....

Can't see the design on my hull looking strait on, but at an angle....it's there."

thats correct. it will come off and not hurt the imron IF it is real IMRON ( a lot of painters use the term "imron" like they use the work xerox but then use some other 2 part urethane thinking its all the same... it isn't and its 3 times as expensive as everything else... ) but either way , as above, there will be a ghost image . Imron makes a clear. if the ghost is bad and bothers you you can very lightly scuff the side and clear it and the ghost will go away.