Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How much water is needed to cool rubber exhaust joints and internal flappers >

How much water is needed to cool rubber exhaust joints and internal flappers

Notices

How much water is needed to cool rubber exhaust joints and internal flappers

Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much water is needed to cool rubber exhaust joints and internal flappers

im looking to use a set of wet stainless risers that mount at the transom so I dont have to ditch my already mounted exhaust tips and internal flappers, but I have a cam and would like to keep the exhaust as "dry" as possible.

my thought is to weld up most of the end of the riser and install a bung for water to dump through a transom bung, yet still leave a portion open to allow some water to flow through and keep the tips cool. Any idea how much i should leave unwelded?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know the answer to your question but you can get silicone exhaust that will take up to 500 degrees. There is some info on this site that might help you figure it out.

http://www.mesamarine.com/Trident.html#Trident
Old 04-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cjmatt
im looking to use a set of wet stainless risers that mount at the transom so I dont have to ditch my already mounted exhaust tips and internal flappers, but I have a cam and would like to keep the exhaust as "dry" as possible.

my thought is to weld up most of the end of the riser and install a bung for water to dump through a transom bung, yet still leave a portion open to allow some water to flow through and keep the tips cool. Any idea how much i should leave unwelded?
You will melt it for sure, if you run it dry. If your determined to run it dry, try to butt your tail to your tip, and use hose to just seal....... been there done that....
Old 04-13-2013, 01:00 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

What are the cam specs?????
Old 04-14-2013, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the answer either, but I'm about to do the same thing. I'm going to have my dry tails go all the way up to tips going through the transom. I can't have my dry tails go through because of interference with my swim platform on the outside. My dry tails are gil and they have a bung welded on for dumping over the transom, but also have two small little holes drilled at the very end of the tail. One on top and one on bottom. From what I've found it's to keep from having air pockets at the tips, but have read that it I'll be more thn enough water to cool the flappers. The holes on mine are only 1/8 at most. I figure the water is under 20+ psi so a decent amount of water will make it out of the holes to cool my internal flaps. I will know in the next week.

Last edited by cp5899; 04-14-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

They make metal butterfly flappers.. Most people dont like them because they make a funny noise. But, If you are running a mostly dry exhaust then it will be loud as **** and you wont be able to hear the flappers..

Chris
Old 04-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
What are the cam specs?????
http://www.cranecams.com/product/car...detail&p=24308
Old 04-15-2013, 01:52 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Thats a a fairly big cam, but it also depends on the engine ci. Its not much bigger than 525efi cam.
You shouldn't need to run competely dry. Normally the holes(3) I've seen in risers are about 3/4" diameter for wet exhaust. I would think (3) 1/4 holes should cool the hose enough and then run an overboard dump also.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Thats a a fairly big cam, but it also depends on the engine ci. Its not much bigger than 525efi cam.
You shouldn't need to run competely dry. Normally the holes(3) I've seen in risers are about 3/4" diameter for wet exhaust. I would think (3) 1/4 holes should cool the hose enough and then run an overboard dump also.
its an aluminum headed 496