Newb here from TX!! >

Newb here from TX!!

Notices

Newb here from TX!!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb here from TX!!

Thought I'd pic yalls brains for a sec. Just trying to get some ideas on where I could go with my rig.

I've had this boat going on three years now and I love it considering it's my first boat. It's a 1996 VIP Vindicator with the 7.4L/454BBC (330hp). It runs absoulutely great as is but I always want a little more so that's where you guys come in.

What would yall do to take it to the next level? Or would I be better off leaving it as is? Anything goes i.e. paint, motor, interior, etc.

What are some of the things I need to look out for or repair if it hasn't been already?

I know this is fairly broad but anything you have to say I'm all ears. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and fix or repair most things or at least figure out how so let's hear what you have to say!

Thanks in advance! I couldn't find the spot to fill out my signature so if I'm missing something there let me know.

Thanks and I like the site already.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Registered

Are we not allowed to post pics???????
Old 04-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Registered

If you are not a paying member. You have to use a site like photobucket and then post the link here.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Registered

oh gotcha
Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When you are saying 330 HP, I am assuming it is a carb motor. If it is EFI, I would leave it alone, because you get into having the ECU program remapped for any major changes to one of those.

If you search through the forums you will find a lot of questions and answers to beefing up the 330 HP 7.4L motors, but at the end of the day you are dealing with an engine that is limited by non-forged reciprocating components (crank and pistons). Probably the best bang for the buck on a marine engine would be to supercharge it, but once again cast crank and pistons, non-inconel exhaust valves and the possibility of getting the fuel curve tuning wrong can lead to disaster.

Short of that, going to a better breathing set of heads (Edelbrock, Dart, AFR) combined with a hotter camshaft and better exhaust would help some. I'm going down that road right now - started with a mild 454, now building a 550-ish HP 489, and let me tell you, it gets expensive in a hurry, especially if you have to do it more than once! Your best bet might be to either leave it stock and enjoy the boat as it is - trouble free and dependable, or buy another complete engine with all the good parts and put this one on a stand in case you either sell the boat or blow up your new motor.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default 1996 Vindicator

Something like this? If you can post the engine serial # members can tell you exactly what engine & what mods are feasible. At present a better exhaust than stock won't hurt, if you plan on going fast, 75 or more full hydraulic steering & trim tabs could be a start on the hull to maintain control as you go faster. Randy Welcome to Oso
Attached Thumbnails Newb here from TX!!-29598104-117-1996-vip-vindicator.jpg