Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Small block or big block 30ft range ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/295164-small-block-big-block-30ft-range.html)

dra200832 04-24-2013 09:46 AM

Small block or big block 30ft range ?

K so I'm thinking for my next boat coming from a 28 ft powerquest with a 454 mag. I no I want twins but what I don't no is how cost effective is it to go with small blocks over big blocks as far as fuel and maintenance an so on.any input is appreciated

Thanks devin

dra200832 04-25-2013 03:06 AM

Any kind of fuel consumption info would be great

silent lucidity 04-25-2013 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by dra200832 (Post 3912568)
Any kind of fuel consumption info would be great

Not much help here but I used to have an older 25ft Nova with twin ford 302's mind you they were built pretty stout. 80 gallons fuel would last 3 to 4 days cruising, pulling tubes etc. Formula 312 with just 454 mag MPIs.... Day and a half making same runs with no tubes and I'm empty as my beer. Boats were about same weight too. BBC eat gas but sure are fun..

Biggus 04-25-2013 04:43 AM

Hustler's new 29 w/small blocks sure looks nice. Very efficient and still performs respectably.

DYVMASTER 04-25-2013 06:53 AM

Go big or go home :lolhit:
Who buys a boat for gas mileage? All depends on what you want..speed costs money!
Just my opinion..and those are like a**holes..everyone has one and most stink!
My advice..dont settle for less than you want..a little money now to get the performance and power you want out of the box you want with big blocks and ability to squeeze a little more in the future rather inexpensively is much better than the money youll throw at and frustration youll have of trying to make a small block give you what you want..all depends on what you want her to do..again JMO!
Good Luck!

92nsx 04-25-2013 07:30 AM

Small blocks = more MPG's
Big blocks = more smiles per mile......

Cant have both now ;) you can only choose one.

Dave M 04-25-2013 11:26 AM

30" Superboat w/SBC's = bulletproof 80+ MPH.

POWERPLAY J 04-25-2013 12:13 PM

In my single I could fill the tank (55gal) and run the piss out of it for a few weekends without refueling. With my current setup it costs me a minimum of 150$ each time I take it out. Holds 200 gal and yes I have used it all in a day.

With a bigger boat with twins you will find yourself going faster and farther than before, In conditions you probably wouldn't take a smaller boat out in. It is pretty hard to keep out of the throttle cause it's so damn fun!

If you like to cruise most of the time and just have fun you might only notice a 20-30% difference in fuel use ( single 28-502efi / 32-T 502efi for example). Maintenance will obviously be double. Oil changes, drive service, winterizing etc.

It is a bit more $ but not as bad as people think. If I was to do it allover again I would've bought a boat with twins years before I did. There is no comparison period! I am a working man so I scape $ for gas and maintenance and it is totally worth every penny.

Just my .02

Wes Burmark 04-25-2013 05:38 PM

Devin, I have twin 377" cu. in 6.2MPIs (320 prop H.P.) in my 29' Fountain. Others have weighed in on fuel use. The faster you go... So my advice would be to find the boat you like with Small Block power and see if you are happy with the performance. The 6.2s are not easy to improve (horsepower wise) without doing a total head, cam, intake, throttle body, and computer change - this is not my opinion but the opinion of professionals that support this forum. "IF" you are happy with the SB performance then you know you have a boat that is hauling around a little less weight and probably uses a little less fuel (but not much!) than the same boat with BB power. For what it's worth I rode in a different brand but similar boat with twin 496 H.O.s 425 h.p. each. That boat was 13 m.p.h. faster than mine. So the ? 4 U is how fast do you want to go? And will SB power get you there in the boat you want?