What to do with old gas? >

What to do with old gas?

Notices

What to do with old gas?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts
Default What to do with old gas?

Spoke to a guy at the local marine service facility. He's telling me there nothing that can be done with old ethanol spiked gas. He charges $50 to take the old gas out of your boat and has to pay someone to come get it.

I recently bought a boat that had abt 25 gallons of old gas. Prev owner topped it off with premium (abt 100 gallons added). Been thru 2 sets of fuel filters with less than 30 mins run time and 10 mins of that was idling on trailer and now fuel press is at 4 psi (was 8psi). Thought I could run it thru, but now I'm thinking it's gotta come out.

Thought abt trying to skim the top surface since the ethanol and water would settle to the bottom, but from what I've found on the net, once the ethanol has seperated, the octane rating drops way off. Not sure if the fuel would even be useable in my truck.

Do I bite the bullet and pay $50 for someone to take $400+ worth of fuel from me or what??
Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

burn it,,
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Why is the fuel psi dropping????? How old is old???

You can just keep dumping the fuel filters and reusing them if its water in them.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lawn mower, weed whacker or neighbors car
Old 05-01-2013, 05:01 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I burn it in my old truck, also given to my neighbor for his old beater car.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run it in something. Don't get rid of it. I have "revived" 2-year old ethanol spiked gas with no issues at all. Had 300 gallons of it in my Chris Craft for 4 years and burnt that as well.

Use some HEET ("dries" the gas) and some octane boost when you do run it.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Spoke to a guy at the local marine service facility. He's telling me there nothing that can be done with old ethanol spiked gas. He charges $50 to take the old gas out of your boat and has to pay someone to come get it.

I recently bought a boat that had abt 25 gallons of old gas. Prev owner topped it off with premium (abt 100 gallons added). Been thru 2 sets of fuel filters with less than 30 mins run time and 10 mins of that was idling on trailer and now fuel press is at 4 psi (was 8psi). Thought I could run it thru, but now I'm thinking it's gotta come out.

Thought abt trying to skim the top surface since the ethanol and water would settle to the bottom, but from what I've found on the net, once the ethanol has seperated, the octane rating drops way off. Not sure if the fuel would even be useable in my truck.

Do I bite the bullet and pay $50 for someone to take $400+ worth of fuel from me or what??

You are having a lot of problems with this boat....

How "old" is this gas?
If it was in fact Super Unleaded it should last a lot longer.
All the junk in the tank should concern you.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

One of our local marinas has a tank/gas cleaning machine. Filters fuel, and puts in under vacuum with a little heat to remove moisture and back to the tank. Call around and see if you can find one.

I went through hell last year, my boat sat unsold for 8 years with 50 gallons a side in it. I would see fuel pressure drop after 20 mins of run time first part of the year. Then a near total loss on one engine. Turned out the mechanical fuel pumps were going south ( mine has mech then electric ) Once I changed them out, the filters were still grabbing garbage but it did not effect the fuel pressure so quickly.

Also, the water sep/ fuel filters can be dumped and reused a few times when you are going through the cleanup process. I went through a case before I figured that out.

The problem is not only the old gas, but the resin left in the tank from sitting idle. The new has breaks it down and sends it upstream. I had orange fruit roll up type crap, along will oxidation in my filters.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, a modern car has the ability to adjust timing, spark curves, and pulse width to compensate for bad gas. Good chance it will run fine in your cars. When is the last time you have hear of someone have water in the gas issues in a newer car or truck? Doesn't seem to happen at all anymore
Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Why is the fuel psi dropping????? How old is old???

You can just keep dumping the fuel filters and reusing them if its water in them.
I'm pretty sure the filters are clogging from water.
The prev owner was changing them trying to get the old gas to run thru sys.
I wasn't aware the filters could be dumped. I assumed the filters were hosed and had to be tossed. I'll try and find a suitable glass container to pour the gas from old fuel filter into and see what it looks like.

The estimated 25 gallons of "old" gas was from last year. With the gas gauge not working, that just a rough estimate..

I have no reason to believe there is "junk" in the tank, just water I hope.

I want to get the boat on the water next week, but the old gas thing concerns me. My engs have a 10.25 to 1 compression ratio and really need 93 octane. Anything less and I'm afraid I'll start melting aluminum.

Last edited by zz28zz; 05-01-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.