Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   popping at speed? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/29574-popping-speed.html)

beerock 07-25-2002 08:06 PM

david, there are 3 separate articulation spots for the accelorator pump,
are you thinking its pumpiing to much gas in the motor, and thats why I get that PAP sound?

what about the poping sound when im on plane?

it does it when I keep the throttle in the same position for a long period of time...

anyone else have suggestions?

David 07-25-2002 08:19 PM

I know the carb is mech secondaries. There is an air valve similar to the air valve in a Quadra-Jet in the secondary bores that restricts air flow if you open the throttle fast at low rpm's. It functions (opens) when airflow increases sufficiently to pull fuel from the nozzles. There is no accelerator pump in the secondaries, and if you modify the air valve function, you will get a flat spot (bog) or backfire when you open the throttle fast under load.
The rear hose attachment on the carb is for a power brake booster. You are correct about the small line on the fuel pump. It is possible that with your fuel pump vent hose attached to a vacuum source, it may be causing the fuel pump to not work to full capacity and cause low fuel pressure, resulting in a low fuel level in the carb, which can causes a lean mixture, which could cause backfiring thru the carb.
Some of the early Ford small block heads had adjustable rockers vs. non-adjustable. Cam changes (smaller base circles) can create adjustment problems with fixed adj. rockers.

mopower 07-25-2002 08:37 PM

beerock,
If your motor sounds a little funky on the port side , check for a loose or broken rocker or bent pushrod on an exhaust valve. If the exhaust can't get out it will cause a popping on the intake side. Been there , done that:rolleyes: more than once:( . Once was a rocker starting to split and was actually bending back from the split. Another time it was a bent pushrod.
Sometimes there is no other reason but Gremlins in the motor causing these things to happen:rolleyes: .

mopower 07-25-2002 08:43 PM

Hey bee,
It's me again, I was just studying yuor picture.:confused: What kind of exhaust manifolds are they?? Can't say I've ever seen anything like that in a boat. (and I once owned a Ford too).

beerock 07-25-2002 08:48 PM

there glenwood lceramic coated og style headers

I have been told they restrict HP- about 30-40HP but the only company to make bassanet type headers is CMI and they cost 5000 :eek:

the glenwoods look really sharp though

David 07-25-2002 09:04 PM

Hey mopower- friend of mine lives in Pitman -Myrtle street

beerock 07-25-2002 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here another pic of the headers.

beerock 07-25-2002 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok dave and I were chatting on aol

check this out....
the guys I bought the holley marine fuel pump form toldme I could run the fuel overflow hose to the intake.....

dave says the vaccum woudl cause the motor to fall on its ass being that the fuel pump would not be working correctly....

see the line going into the intake?

well thats form the fuel overflow on the fuel pump....

I hope thats the problem.......

mopower 07-26-2002 06:25 PM

Dave, I live on Spruce ave. a few blocks from Myrtle:cool: .

David 07-26-2002 06:39 PM

I'll have to look you up next time I'm over that way. BTW- did you see the "24' Scarab" for sale on 322 near the 7-11 a while back? Turns out to be a Nova with no windshield.