Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can anyone identify this fuel pump? >

Can anyone identify this fuel pump?

Notices

Can anyone identify this fuel pump?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Can anyone identify this fuel pump?

Would like to order a rebuild kit but have not been able to identify what model Holley pump it is.
There's a small metal tag under one of the screw heads that looks like it says HP27 but it's really hard to read.
Searched for HP27 and got nothing.

Seems to be a pretty decent pump, but don't know the specs on it.

Thx!
Attached Thumbnails Can anyone identify this fuel pump?-sspx0064.jpg   Can anyone identify this fuel pump?-sspx0065.jpg  

Last edited by zz28zz; 05-08-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Registered

As a side note, when I disassembled the pumps I found the source of my low fuel press (orig thought it was phase seperated fuel plugging the filters). Little strip of teflon tape wedged under one of the inlet poppet valves on the port side pump.
Apparently the prev mechanic wrapped the fuel line fittings too close to the end of the fittings.

Didn't see anything in the other pump, but cleaned the popet valves anyway.

Fuel press now 9.5 psi on both engines!
Was 6 psi on starboard side and 3.5 psi port side at idle.

Would still like to replace the poppet valves and diaphram, if I can find the parts.

Last edited by zz28zz; 05-08-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Registered

Finally found some info on the fuel pump. It's a "Clay Smith" design. Actually the design has been around since the late 50's and was used on Corvettes (as per the Clay Smith rep). They are very popular with the circle track guys running alcohol (should be OK with ethanol fuel :-).
They have a unique 6 valve design and flow 130 lbs/hr at 14-16 psi with the Clay Smith spring installed.
They used to make them for Holley but stopped when Holley starting not wanting to spend the money needed for good internals. Apparently I got one with the Holley spec diaphragm spring which limits press to 8-10 psi. They can be rebuilt in Calif for $75 plus the ride.

Think I'll keep them and work on a elec pump back-up that kicks on if eng has oil press and fuel press is below abt 5psi or so..

Last edited by zz28zz; 05-09-2013 at 01:31 PM.