Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What sealing procedure to use for ARP head studs in water jackets? >

What sealing procedure to use for ARP head studs in water jackets?

Notices

What sealing procedure to use for ARP head studs in water jackets?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by supermx96
I have instal them last summer without any problem on aluminum head, this year i reuse the same stud with the same procedure with arp stud sealant and i have found today that i have one stud leaking outside the valve cover, i am prety sure that is not the only one, i need to take a look under the valve cover.

If i find some milky oil anybody can tell me what is the solution to fix that, i hope there have one solution without disasembling the head.
SuperMX, a lot of the car guys are running the stop-leak pellets and powders to seal up the seapage. Seems to work well for them - GM even sells a version of this for use on some of their newer vehicles that have aluminum heads / cast iron block. However, with open cooling on a boat, you don't have any easy way to circulate this stuff and bring it up to temp. I guess you could run the engine on a start-up cart with a radiator before it is installed in the boat, but not many of us have this luxury.

I guess the key is getting it to seal the first time. I have seen some threads saying that the teflon paste sealants, including the ARP stuff, have a tendency to wash out and don't work that well, although there also seems to be people using this stuff with success. I may look closely at "The Right Stuff" as indicated by others. Leaky head studs are another worry that I can do without for this build!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Registered

OK, here's the plan. I talked to Bob Madara - he likes to use the Hylomar sealant - waiting to get the exact PN from him as they make several formulations, but if I was to take a guess at this point I would expect it to be the hylomar pl32 aerograde. I think Permatex makes a sealant that they also call "Hylomar", but have seen several remarks indicating it is not as good as the "real" Hylomar.

Planning to THOROUGHLY clean the head stud threads with a good solvent and then follow that up with a wire wheel on the threads. Will run a chase through the head bolt threads in the block and follow up with brake cleaner and plenty of air.

I'll install the studs with a liberal dose of the Hylomar, and then immediately drop the heads on and torque them to spec. I will plan to come back the next day and loosen them 1/8 turn and retorque to value.

I would like to rig up some type of regulated pressure test with water before I ever start the mill. I figure about 28 PSI will be more than enough to ensure that I have no leaks.

Am I leaving anything out?

Then again, I might just punt and go back with a set of new ARP bolts, but that will cost me another Benjamin and then some.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Right stuff is realy good i think i will try right stuf to fix my leaky stud.Next time i will use right stuf for stud for sure.
Yes, it is. Its funny, when you search the net, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who's had leaks using it, leak lok, or even stuff like ultra grey on head studs. But, any of the specific thread sealers, like ARP Teflon, permatex, Loctite, pretty much any of the "thread sealers'' you'll get pages of guys with leaks who used that stuff.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which blocks require and which don't? I get conflicting answers on this subj all the time
Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

if the threaded hole goes into the water jacket it needs to be sealed.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Are you using the one with teflon (leak lock gold) or the standard leak lock?

I will try that product on my leaky stud

Thanks for the input
i use the standard that comes in a grey tube.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Registered

Have always used the Hylomar sealant and never had a leaker , you can order it online .
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Registered

permatex makes a product specifically for this called high performance thread sealant google it
Old 06-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Registered

Found some excellent info about the Hylomar product. Apparently Universal Blue and the PL32 AeroGrade are essentially the same formulation. Grainger carries the Universal Blue = stuff's expensive - about $20 for a 4 oz tube!

Hylomar Universal Blue gasket and jointing compound, non-setting sealant, Hylomar gasket jointing compounds , PL32/H ( heavy) , PL/HC (heavy), PL32/M (medium) hylomar universal blue
Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Registered

I solve my stud leaking with the moroso ceramic treatment, i do it in the boat with a home made close cooling systeme, without enought cooling but the product have do is job. I have run the engine at idle 3x 15 min and let it warm up to 210 f.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.