Boat leans to port side when running.. >

Boat leans to port side when running..

Notices

Boat leans to port side when running..

Old 06-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stlliberator
So I have been dealing with this issue and Im finally just fed up with it. My boat, a 88 24 foot Baja, leans to the port, passenger side when running. When hitting waves it dosent fly straight either, it leans hard to the left. I know that my prop a 26 pitch bravo might have a ton to do with the torque on the boat. When just crusing around about 3000 rpm I have to put my passenger side k-plane down pretty far to make it ride flat. When Im running hard on flat water, with the tabs all the way up and trimmed to the point where its starting to throw a tail it finally levels out. My boat has had the x raised 3.5 inches, still running the stock bravo outdrive with no nose cone..

Hey Still
I'm experiencing similar stuff with the basically same boat. 87 240sport Flys pretty straight but in dead flat water it'll lean to the left. I want to try a lefty prop when I can get ahold of one. I'm only running a 24p b1, imco -2. Wot it does straighten up. Only thing that concerns me about running a lefty prop isn't that gonna want to push the gears out the top? Like with a twin engine boat you want to swap drives left to right season to season should I swap props and cables periodically? Not too painful but alittle bit of a hassle.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It's normal. Prop experimenting might help. I always run a little port tab on the Donzi except for fast runs when I can raise the drive and tab at the same time. Part of my pre-planing routine is to drop the port tab for 5 seconds (dual ram Bennetts).

I just re-read your OP and your boat should fly straight with a little positive trim. I run tab to level my boat but she always flies straight and predictable. Maybe you are trimming down too much?

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 06-16-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why. Mine does the same thing.

Originally Posted by Lauderdaleboats
Singles are notorious for this. The torque of the motor alone is throwing the boat down on the left in a trimmed in position. Having the X dim raised 3.5 inches with the stock unit means the entire motor was raised 3.5 inches. The weight of the motor that much higher in the boat compounds this problem. The right handed prop is trying to throw the boat left compounding the problem even further. The 24 degree bottom adds to this also. Try a left hand prop, swap your shifter cable on the shifter and your problem will go away.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Won't switching prop rotation require tab at WOT runs with positive trim? This is when you want your tabs up for maximum speed.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also check the bottom of the boat for a major hook...
Old 06-17-2013, 01:05 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Lauderdaleboats
Singles are notorious for this. The torque of the motor alone is throwing the boat down on the left in a trimmed in position. Having the X dim raised 3.5 inches with the stock unit means the entire motor was raised 3.5 inches. The weight of the motor that much higher in the boat compounds this problem. The right handed prop is trying to throw the boat left compounding the problem even further. The 24 degree bottom adds to this also. Try a left hand prop, swap your shifter cable on the shifter and your problem will go away.
X3

On the 24 Outlaw that I used to have, I put both batteries on the starboard side and it helped.
My 28 Pantera did it also until you got above about 50mph.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 240 Sport did the same thing when I put the -2 lower on it. As soon as I would get on the throttle even a little it would be on the port side of the V. When I put my boat together I had this in mind and put all the weight on the starboard side. It still did it. With the stock x it wasn't and issue. My buddy had the same issue with his 28 Checkmate when he put the -2 on it. He changed to a left hand prop and then it leaned to the starboard side...