Engines won't turn more than 4200 RPM >

Engines won't turn more than 4200 RPM

Notices

Engines won't turn more than 4200 RPM

Old 07-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engines won't turn more than 4200 RPM

I just purchased a Formula 353 Fastech with Mercury 600sci and Bravo XR drives. The engines max out at 4200. It has 1.5 gear ratio and 31 5 blade labbed props from Formula. There are no faults or codes with either engine. Any info would be helpful.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

You said no codes so I assume you have a scan tool? If so monitor timing and knock sensors. Sounds to me that you have a fuel issue and the engine is retarding timing to keep you from blowing up. You should have no trouble spinning those wheels close to max rpm

How old is a the gas? How long did the boat sit? How about fuel filters, each engine has two.

Thinking that formula has only one fuel tank correct? The fact that you have the same problem with both engines makes me think it is fuel.

Good luck
Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Did you have a salesman or previous owner take you out and show you how to trim the boat? Running improper trim or tabs can add drag, thus holding the boat back. High altitude and hot air can both soften the available hp. Fuel has been mentioned and is definitely something to check.

What you haven't told us is whether you have "seen" this boat turn up proper revs or not, and under what conditions...

MC
Old 07-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the boat from Oklahoma and used a surveyor to check it. I am now running it in New Jersey. I will be doing oil, oil filters, fuel filters, plugs, wires and drive oil. Here are the engine run times.

Last edited by richD; 07-02-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by richD
I bought the boat from Oklahoma and used a surveyor to check it. I am now running it in New Jersey. I will be doing oil, oil filters, fuel filters, plugs, wires and drive oil. Here are the engine run times.[]
Ok, lets try again.

How old is the gas?

Is this a new problem or has it been that way since day one?

Are you trimming correctly?

Pictures of the run time, while neat, doesn't really help us help you.