Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Steam out of starbord side exhaust - 454 Mag MPI (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/301206-steam-out-starbord-side-exhaust-454-mag-mpi.html)

greg800le 08-10-2013 02:17 PM

Steam out of starbord side exhaust - 454 Mag MPI

I've searched some of the old forums on this topic which suggest it might be normal. I've got a 2000 Baja with a 454 Mag MPI, captain's call exhaust and stock manifold. I notice that when the engine's been run (cruising or wot) and brought back to idle that more steam comes out of the starboard side exhaust (at the transom), very little to none out of the port exhaust. The engine is running strong, normal temperature and no water found in the oil. Is this normal or do I have a potential problem I need to address? Thanks

phragle 08-10-2013 02:23 PM

been told its normal, I do it after hard run too

Jim Weston 08-10-2013 09:52 PM

Could you please tell me what temperature you show on the gauge of the 2000 Baja with the 454 MPI. Please also mention if the temperature is taken on a large lake (cooler water) of an inland lake where the water temperature may be higher. I ask this as I have a 2000 Checkmate 220 Convincor with the 7.4 MPI (not the MAG) and I see steam out the starboard side exhaust at transom after WOT or cruise speed. I have stock manifolds and risers and the exhaust is straight out the transom (no captain's call). The starboard riser is hot also and the port side is not and I measured slightly less water coming out of the starboard side earlier today on my driveway with the out drive submerged in a large plastic storage container filled with cool city water. I bought a temperature meter at Radio Shack today and will check temperatures tomorrow on the lake. Thank you as this starboard hot riser bugs me big time. JW

Griff 08-11-2013 01:29 AM

My starboard side headers on both of my 502mpi's are always warmer than the port sides. I would guess 10-20* warmer.

greg800le 08-11-2013 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Weston (Post 3974590)
Could you please tell me what temperature you show on the gauge of the 2000 Baja with the 454 MPI. Please also mention if the temperature is taken on a large lake (cooler water) of an inland lake where the water temperature may be higher. I ask this as I have a 2000 Checkmate 220 Convincor with the 7.4 MPI (not the MAG) and I see steam out the starboard side exhaust at transom after WOT or cruise speed. I have stock manifolds and risers and the exhaust is straight out the transom (no captain's call). The starboard riser is hot also and the port side is not and I measured slightly less water coming out of the starboard side earlier today on my driveway with the out drive submerged in a large plastic storage container filled with cool city water. I bought a temperature meter at Radio Shack today and will check temperatures tomorrow on the lake. Thank you as this starboard hot riser bugs me big time. JW

I boat on colder water - Lake Ontario & Georgian Bay, around 70 degrees. Engine temperature stays around 165 -170, and has never exceeded 180.