27 Fountain Fever or 29 Scarab?? >

27 Fountain Fever or 29 Scarab??

Notices

27 Fountain Fever or 29 Scarab??

Old 09-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
does the Scarab not have a built in swim ptaform?
Looks like it does but I would still consider it at least 1.5' longer than the fountain. Just a guess as I dont have the exact measurements.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Of course the scarab is bigger, its a 29! And yes the 29 scarab includes the molded swim platform in LOA, as do ALL boats that have a molded platform, after all is is "length over all"

Is size important or is speed more of a factor? Where will you be boating? Plan on overnighting? How many do you plan on boating with?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

For speed get the Fountain, for more room Scarab, for resale down the road (if that matters to you) the more stock the boat is the easier to sell.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
That Scarab is going to be a much bigger boat. The 27 Fountain is like a 25 when you leave off the beak and the swim platform.
Not true,,,the beak does not add length,,,and both boats have a built in swim platform,,,

look at the rake on the bow of the Fountain and look at the rake of the bow of the PowerQuest,,,the Fountain has a sharper angle,,,

a lot of guys on here say the beak adds length to the Fountain,,but its not true,,
Attached Thumbnails 27 Fountain Fever or 29 Scarab??-fever3.jpg   27 Fountain Fever or 29 Scarab??-bbbbbb.jpg  
Old 09-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

First, don't beat yourselves up over this thread. The original poster has not visited since the first day he posted the question.

The beak is a trademark on a Fountain. Everyone knows that the between the beak and the molded platform, the boat is about 3 feet longer in named model than other boats sans beak and sans molded platform; when compared in this fashion:

What we REALLY need are two standard measurements...
Water line. (How long is the bathtub ring on the boat when you leave it in the water overnight.)
Hull length from the waterline back. (How long from the point of the waterline to the base of the transom.)

Notched transoms, and the like mess with all of these things which is why it's hard to compare.

The 29 Scarab IS a bigger boat than the 27 Fountain. The 29 Scarab's dash is very horizontal which leads to a longer/larger cockpit. However, this puts the windscreen/windshield further from the front seat passengers and is a windier ride than the Fountain would be in this comparison. Square footage of what the cockpit carpet covers could actually be very similar on these two boats though; I don't know for sure.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sydwayz,

I am new to this and asked the question because I was looking for recommendations from experienced people. That is why I posted the to the forum and like I said originally any input was greatly appreciated. This will be my first powerboat all that I have owned to this point is several center consoles.

Thanks to all that have given input.

Last edited by gleber7; 09-09-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
First, don't beat yourselves up over this thread. The original poster has not visited since the first day he posted the question.

The beak is a trademark on a Fountain. Everyone knows that the between the beak and the molded platform, the boat is about 3 feet longer in named model than other boats sans beak and sans molded platform; when compared in this fashion:

What we REALLY need are two standard measurements...
Water line. (How long is the bathtub ring on the boat when you leave it in the water overnight.)
Hull length from the waterline back. (How long from the point of the waterline to the base of the transom.)

Notched transoms, and the like mess with all of these things which is why it's hard to compare.

The 29 Scarab IS a bigger boat than the 27 Fountain. The 29 Scarab's dash is very horizontal which leads to a longer/larger cockpit. However, this puts the windscreen/windshield further from the front seat passengers and is a windier ride than the Fountain would be in this comparison. Square footage of what the cockpit carpet covers could actually be very similar on these two boats though; I don't know for sure.
Why does it matter how much boat is sitting in the waterline at rest?

What we need is a standardized test for performance....oh wait we have that, it's called racing and trophies

Both good boats, but these two are not an apples to apples comparison.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You all got it backwards....The beak doesn't add length, it reduces waterline.

But more importantly, it adds chicks.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by gleber7
I am looking at a 1991 27 Fountain Fever with the 502 engine pushing 425 hp and also a 1995 29 Scarab with a 502 engine pushing 550 hp any input would be appreciated...
As a 26 Scarab owner, the ride from the Scarab will be much better in rough water...heavier boat. Both are amazing boats, the choice needs to be what you really want out of this size segment of a sport boat. Good luck. .
Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 97 scarab 29. I has a great ride in rough. I only use it offshore. It has twin 350s. Im selling though as i just bought a Top Gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.