Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Someone please explain what hydraulic steering I will need..add on..or full >

Someone please explain what hydraulic steering I will need..add on..or full

Notices

Someone please explain what hydraulic steering I will need..add on..or full

Old 09-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone please explain what hydraulic steering I will need..add on..or full

I want to add hydraulic steering onto my 88 Baja 24fter..The boat runs 70 wide open, but I don't run it that hard all the time. But running at LOTO, with the tabs down to fight through all the chop I get a lot of bow steer. I just replaced the gimbal, and steering pin a couple of years ago, but it still has a lot of side to side play in the outdrive. I am going to be doing some motor work this winter, so I want to be around 75-78 mph when finished. Should I just do a "add-on" kit, or should I go a full system? How does a add on system work?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Add on will still wander, full hydraulic is the best if you can afford it.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Full is best.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Imco

Originally Posted by stlliberator
I want to add hydraulic steering onto my 88 Baja 24fter..The boat runs 70 wide open, but I don't run it that hard all the time. But running at LOTO, with the tabs down to fight through all the chop I get a lot of bow steer. I just replaced the gimbal, and steering pin a couple of years ago, but it still has a lot of side to side play in the outdrive. I am going to be doing some motor work this winter, so I want to be around 75-78 mph when finished. Should I just do a "add-on" kit, or should I go a full system? How does a add on system work?
I just did a full IMCO system to my 23' boat this year and it is night and day better than it was. I actually feel in control of the boat at all times and that was not the way it was before I replaced my tiller arm setup.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
Add on will still wander, full hydraulic is the best if you can afford it.
That's the truth, my boat was not much better with just dual ram add on, went full and its rock solid, Smitty
Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I had add on on my 28 Pantera. It was nice for the safety factor, but nothing like full hyd. It still pulled to side like normal steering but was just tighter.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Registered

i went from full cable steering on my htm ss24 to full hyd it was like night and day. at 100mph it was like driving a 1984 suburban compared to a 911 Porsche after. there was so much slack in the steering it was actually scary to drive the boat even at low speed. if you can go full hyd the steering precision is incredible! no add on you still have cables involved, you wont regret the full hyd system. btw this is the second boat I have done this to with equally great results.

Last edited by La/stryker; 09-16-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:26 AM
Registered

Full hydro is worth every penny. I haven't driven a single with full hydro, only a twin but it was night and day difference, like has been mentioned. Went from barely controllable to not even needing a hand on the wheel.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Yup, full is the way to go. You can probably get by with a single ram system on a boat that size if you want to save some coin.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have an add on cylinder and it's not enough, I will be going to full hydraulic this winter. The boat gets to squirrelly after 70 even with the external cylinder.