Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   education opportunity ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/303483-education-opportunity.html)

315duramax 09-27-2013 11:44 AM

education opportunity ?

i am 19 and currently in school for business and hauling boats on the side when theres profits to be had. i want to build a shop and a brand basically like the show Fast and Loud (gas monkey garage) but with go-fast boats rather than cars. rebuilding, customizing, rehab etc. Ive always owned boats, driven boats and hauled boats, but never really worked on boats let alone performance boats. i called up MMI and they basically just do out boards and stuff, but i was hoping i could find a school like that that just throws you right into high performance boats. i figured with the industry blowing up like it is now, there has to be education opportunities to be had in that category. google gave me nothing. figured if there was some education to be had on this topic this is where i could find it.

THANKS guys, and loving this forum.

KRAUSMOTORSPORTS 09-27-2013 01:38 PM

If your into relocation I believe there was a shop in Nevada some where near Vegas I believe that was looking for someone to "build up" per say. It was in a growing shop and they started a thread a month or two ago. But can't remember what it was under. I would have love to tried but I'm too far into my trade and job to get up and move. But I'm watching Richard and Aaron now. I love that show!

KRAUSMOTORSPORTS 09-27-2013 01:44 PM

Found it http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...portunity.html

phragle 09-27-2013 01:45 PM

That was rindel with the bat boats.

315duramax 09-27-2013 01:53 PM

ya thats not really what i was looking for. more of a college type atmosphere or a ITT tech sort of thing. and not looking to permanently relocate at this point. i am also looking around my area to see if i can find some people who work on boats like these or marinas to work part time to try and learn the trade. theres no question i can build a huge business i already have the shop i build my skis and bikes in i just want to learn tricks of the trade before buying a 30k boat to fix and modify and learn how to do it right.

phragle 09-27-2013 01:58 PM

http://www.mercurymarine.com/service...r-technicians/

Most require you to be working in the field and "sponsored" by the place you work for. My nephew has a of of hatteras etc certifications he got when he worked at the marina. Fast and loud exists because Rawlings has a bunch of money he pours into it. OCC existed not because of the bikes but because of the drama.

Most of those shows are a quick burst of flame and then they burn out. Your better off figuring out exactly what you want to do and then doing the grunt work to be really good at it.

keith2500hd 09-29-2013 10:51 AM

those schools will get you to basics, you will have to apprentice in shops, with different people, that gives different perspective. those tv shows didn't start just prior to filming, they worked their way to knock on that door. in early 80's was offered job on outlaw race team; guaranteed long crappy hours with little pay til proven. you have to build a reputation and continue to learn. what you want does not happen overnight. well unless you got a lot of money, that is no guarantee either.

315duramax 09-29-2013 02:54 PM

Obviously... My relation to fast and Loud was just a boat shop that will fix up, build and customize cool ****. Specifically boats. Then sell them, and start over... I posted this thread because with power boats blowing up I figured there would be schools or something of that sort that would teach you more than the basics on a 50hp outboard... Lol I'm talking about switching out drives, motors, trouble shoring big blocks, electronical stuff etc. I have the space and the drive. I already have a shop in a vacant building my dad owns and were talking about cutting out the wall to be able to put a big over head door to be able to stick boats in there. Im not talking about hiring a full staff for my first boat... But on pbn someone messages me and says wyo tec has what I'm looking for so I'm going to contact him and see what's up. I would love to get a job at scarab or sonic or someplace but those places are all in Florida

mickeymcclgn 09-29-2013 04:53 PM

I see you're relatively new to the forum I'd like to say welcome. Where exactly are you located? I don't own a marine performance shop, never worked at one and do most all of my own wrenching, but I talk to Afew shop owners around here about their business and most all of them say the same thing. Business is okay at best and breaking even is more of the norm. They're making a living but most work on "normal" boats and outboards to actually make money and do performance work for the love of it. People just aren't spending money on performance boats as they used to. They don't fetch what they used to money wise and no bank wants to loan money on anything over 10-12 years old. They're unfortunately worth more in pieces which is a shame but a reality. People who want a pair of engines for their old hull or people who have nice engines who want an older well kept hull minus engines ect ect. And I'm not saying by any stretch that you cannot do it and be successful, but I would have a serious talk with shop owners and get their real feelings on performance boat building and repair and where it's heading for a career choice.

And once you start wrenching on them for 40+ hours a week 52 weeks a year you find yourself not wanting to use your personal boat as much. Maybe not every boat mechanic but definitely some. Just nature of the beast. I'm an electrician and I've delayed hanging a new porch light for a month just cause I'm sick of electrical work when I get home kind of thing.

Good luck with perusing what you want to do!

315duramax 09-29-2013 07:25 PM

great info! and yes im going to be talking with some people around here. and i guess its where you are located. i personally am in SYRACUSE NY, my family has a cottage in the 1000 islands and power boats are blowing up. basically people with fat pockets and not a care in the world. but hey, someone can capitalize on it right? and i see what you are saying, as of right now i am looking at really just finding newer or rare power boats like newer boats people screwed up and i can buy cheap and fix and flip, or finding rare boats like a MV scarab 38 and resto it. or some nice twin out boards 30' center consols. im not looking at building race boats or cats. just modify fast boats for a family really... make it more family friendly so the wife can be happy and the dad can feel cool if you know what i mean.