Kodiak Brand -Trailer Brake Rotors - Dacromet coated vs Stainless Steel

Notices

Kodiak Brand -Trailer Brake Rotors - Dacromet coated vs Stainless Steel

Old 09-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak Brand -Trailer Brake Rotors - Dacromet coated vs Stainless Steel

Does anyone have the Kodiak Dacromet coated brake rotors on their trailer, that goes in salt water all the time. I have to put new everything on my trailer and I'm trying to decide if the Dacromet would hold up alright or will I have to sell my kids to put full Stainless steel rotor on. I'm definitely going SS calipers. The Dacromet rotor/SS caliper combo kit is 1/2 the price of the full SS combo kit. Any insight of people that have such set up's would be greatly appreciated.

Thank
JG
Old 09-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

I put 2 axle kodiac dacromet brake setups on my trailer this past spring. They were used in both salt and fresh,I mostly salt. After the boat comes off the trailer I rinse the brakes with fresh water in a bug sprayer, and when the boat comes out I rinse again. Everything almost looks brand new. I am very surprised to be honest.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for your reply. That's just the answer I was hoping for. Its funny you mentioned the bug sprayer idea, I too thought about doing the same trick, if I went with the coated rotors, to hopefully keep them as nice for as long as I could. I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on 2 sets of the Dacromet / SS combo's. Sounds like to me they will do fine then.

Thanks again "Underpsi68" for your reply.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I am not familiar with the Dacromet coating, but I have had two trailers with Nickel Cadmium rotors that get used in fresh and salt water coupled with SS calipers. I've talked to Kodiak directly in the past and that is what they recommended to me when I bought directly from them years ago when refurbishing my last trailer. My Myco came with the SS/NC Kodiak brakes. My Myco is a 2005 model year and has been used in fresh and salt since new from South Florida to Northern Michigan and NO issues with the calipers or rotors; and pads just replaced once earlier this summer. I imagine the Dacromet is a newer/better option than the NK of the past. Good luck.