removing hook pros & cons

Notices

removing hook pros & cons

Old 08-06-2002, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking removing hook pros & cons

i have a 94 29ft baja ,it has a pair of 454mags handles great gets on plain pretty quick ive heard that removing the hook would gain top end speed has any one did that type with any speed gains
Old 08-11-2002, 11:00 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

johnnyboatman,

Do a search on hooks and hulls and that sort of thing. There was a thread a few months back that covered a whole lot of territory. I took a bit of hook out the hull on a 25' Checkmate and it made a huge difference in handling in the rough stuff. Running on 3' water at 60mph and a 4' would come along and it would launch skyward and then trip and stuff.. So be careful if you mess with the bottom. The manufacture did design it for the masses, but if you change too much you will create some problems sometimes. If you can find someone that has done it and had success and does the same kind of boating you do.. Then copy what they did, other wise best left alone.

Good luck

Dick
Old 08-11-2002, 11:24 AM
Team Gary

If you are running a conventional out drive such as Bravos, you need a hook to keep the bow from skying. If you run a surfice drive such as Kaama, Arneson, etc, you don't want a hook. The surface drive tends to push the bow over. I know the older Baja's had a pretty radical hook, and the surfice drives would not work on them.