Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How much fuel pressure for 502 withDemon 850? >

How much fuel pressure for 502 withDemon 850?

Notices

How much fuel pressure for 502 withDemon 850?

Old 11-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

If the carb has been flooding several times make sure you do not wash down the cylinder walls with gas. I had the same problem this spring to much pressure 8.5 to 9.0. Put on a regulator solved the problem.
I checked compressing on engine at the end of the year and it was down to 50psi on all cylinders. Both engines are out of the boat and waiting for me to tear the one down. I am guessing since the engines only have 80 hours on them, the rings are not sealing because the gas washed the oil off.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Exactly. You need enough fuel psi to fill the bowls when the float drops, and not too much to push the needle off the seat when the float is at its correct height. More psi will get you nothing as far as performance in this application. Volume is the key.

Holleys current marine pumps, are available in 110GPH, and 130GPH. The 110GPH will not require a regulator, and the 130GPH will. The pumps visually look the same, both having 3/8NPT in/out. I wish they

never stopped making the ones I use. Which are the older six valve pumps. These pumps are much better, have 1/2NPT in/out, preset at 6.5psi, and do not require a regulator. Mercury used these pumps on the 800 and 900sc engines. You can still get them, but need to modify them if you want to "marinize" them with the vent tube.

Heres the current holley pumps
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...%20fuel%20pump

I attached a photo of the pumps I run that holley no longer makes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]512861[/ATTACH]
I run a Clay Smith pump 1/2" in and out has to be regulated just run an enderle pressure relief valve on return to the tank $60. The pump pumps like a garden hose. I know this very well cause I didn't have the fuel line hooked up and cranked the motor and washed the bilge down with fuel :-) but I was very impressed how much fuel the thing dumped all over the place...
Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I run a Clay Smith pump 1/2" in and out has to be regulated just run an enderle pressure relief valve on return to the tank $60. The pump pumps like a garden hose. I know this very well cause I didn't have the fuel line hooked up and cranked the motor and washed the bilge down with fuel :-) but I was very impressed how much fuel the thing dumped all over the place...
Yep, the Clay Smith ones are same style, just require a regulator. C&S carbs has these pumps too, at a pretty good price.

Ive had good luck with the preset pumps in this style. The move a ton of fuel, and one less thing to screw with. I believe the self regulated ones were rated at 120GPH, and ones requiring a regulator, 130GPH.