93 powerquest want to get to 70mph I'm at 64 now. Need advice

Notices

93 powerquest want to get to 70mph I'm at 64 now. Need advice

Old 12-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 93 powerquest want to get to 70mph I'm at 64 now. Need advice

I have a 1993 Powerquest laser with twin 350 mags bone stock with 500 hrs.
The boat will run 64 at 4500 rpms with hull ss 25p props with alpha drives

I'm wondering what kinda HP I would need to add to get the boat to 70+. I love the boat and don't want to do anything to crazy I was just thinking about buying 2 michigan motor silver packages for it with 315 hp and was wondering if that would be enough. Or if someone eles has any other ideas that would be cheaper and get me there. These motor runs 4100$.

Any thought and advice would be great. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails 93 powerquest want to get to 70mph I'm at 64 now. Need advice-image.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2013, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call dart and have them give you a price on their 406 small blocks with dish pistons..2 sets of vortech cylinder heads with 2.02 1.60 valves severe duty and the bee hive springs,,have bob medera grind you some cams that will work with your stock exhaust,2 edelbrock intakes and 750 cfm holly carbs..you will be at 500 to 525 hp and that will get your boat close to 80 mph..if your going tro do it for the money your going to spend go big..
Old 01-01-2014, 01:28 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

You could probably gain 3 mph by just dialing in the props and having them labbed. You should be spinning those engines close to 5000rpms to make peak HP.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Cams and vortec heads would probably get you 50hp per side.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

alum aftermarket heads and alum GLM exhausts. performer rpm or air gap intakes. you will pick up 2 or 3 mph just by the weight savings in the back of boat. your iron merc exhausts are due for scrapping anyway. then call Bob M. for cams and you will be in 350 to 400 hp range. Vortecs are pretty good heads. but AFR's or Edelbrock heads better and much lighter. plus you can go up a point in compression with alum combustion chambers stead of iron. my alum GLM exhausts needed regasketed after 6 years, mostly delaware river, some salt. aluminum looks like new. i have Dart sportsman heads, cuz they came with the boat. although i am tired of doing headstands between motors and getting into a single big block 23-24 length boat for next year.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My thought is to look at raising the X dimension by using a short drive. A good place to start is to find out what Powerquest was doing on drive heights when they started using the Bravo 1 props.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey appreciate it. And thanks everyone for the advice. Well it looks like I'm going to do heads and a cam right now for motor stuff and next will be props.

My other question is. Who should I talk to about dealing with my x demnsion on this boat. I don't know much about that kinda stuff.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 79formula
Cams and vortec heads would probably get you 50hp per side.
Unless you want to go the route that I took with my 255 Formula Liberator and swap those Alphas for Bravos...the Vortec heads and a decent Cam is going to give you the best bang for the buck. I like Mike the FIXX's idea but will tell you that anything beyond 350 HP will eat those Alpha's.

Browse thru my thread to see how I handled mine: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...update-30.html

I shopped my buy outs carefully and was able to do the total twin propulsion package upgrade for about $12K. Yours will be a bit simpler because I went from Pre Alpha MR-I drives/260 SBC's to Twin 425 HP/450# TQ 355 Vortec Roller Cam/Bravo I Drive set ups. I had to change quite a few things that you won't such as brackets, exhaust set up and steering....all of this you can re-use from your '93 SBC's. This might get you in at closer to $10K if you shop it right. One short cut that I took that sved quite a bit was using Crank Driven Raw Water Pumps and take suction thru the Bravo's as opposed to having the separate belt driven pumps.

My boat with a full fuel load weighs about 6000#s. With 23" Mirage Plus I get 75 at 5500 RPM...I have not tried 25's. Vortec SBC's build a lot of TQ down low...I cruise along at 35-37 MPH at 2000 RPM!!.

My advice..Phase I,.do the head, intake, carb and cam swap and you might get there...your boat may be lighter than mine ( 4800 dry per http://www.nadaguides.com/boats/1993/powerquest-boats) and that makes a big difference. Live with that for a season and see if it satisfies you. You will spend about $3K to get there. If you decide later that you want more..Phase II,.swap your new top ends over to a pair of 355/383 short block roller cam set ups and upgrade to Bravo. The money you spend in phase I will not be spent in vain.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by sprink58; 01-02-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:13 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Thebossbultsma
Hey appreciate it. And thanks everyone for the advice. Well it looks like I'm going to do heads and a cam right now for motor stuff and next will be props.

My other question is. Who should I talk to about dealing with my x demnsion on this boat. I don't know much about that kinda stuff.
Heads and cam will most likely mean that you will need performance exhaust as well........if you want to see any real gains.
That being said, is it really worth spending 50%-100% of your boats value that you will never get back at resale to go 6 mph faster???
Also, when you start getting to about 65-70mph, you really need hydraulic steering from a safety standpoint. Break out another 3-5k.

They don't make shorty Alpha drives, except for maybe the Alpha SS.
Alpha's also lose reliability as you increase HP and are not made for more than about 300hp.

Last edited by Griff; 01-02-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff
Heads and cam will most likely mean that you will need performance exhaust as well........if you want to see any real gains.
That being said, is it really worth spending 50%-100% of your boats value that you will never get back at resale to go 6 mph faster???
Also, when you start getting to about 65-70mph, you really need hydraulic steering from a safety standpoint. Break out another 3-5k.

They don't make shorty Alpha drives, except for maybe the Alpha SS.
Alpha's also lose reliability as you increase HP and are not made for more than about 300hp.
that depends on the cam,,remember the scorpion engines used a cast iron manifold and they made a little over 400 hp..got a friend with twin scorpions in a 28 zx and he can hit 80 on any water,,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.