spinning engine over before firing with the key

Notices

spinning engine over before firing with the key

Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spinning engine over before firing with the key

been wondering if anyone else has heard of this, motor wants to crank hard on the starter with the key, been told to add a remote starter button hit it to get it cranking then hit the switch to make it fire heard it helps on starters,anyone else ever heard this.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Unless this motor is 14 to 1 compression this should not be necessary. Sounds like the timing is set too fast.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad battery cables, poor grounds, and bad connection in battery switches and terminals can cause this too. Many times the copper wires will corrode right inside the insulation with no apparent problems just looking at them. I had a set of cables on my boat that had clear insulation on them, and after a year or two they were green with corrosion. The current travels across the outside of the wires, so this corrosion causes increased resistance.

It is true that too much initial advance can make it hard to turn an engine over, but check the simple things too. Also, you can accomplish basically the same thing by simply pulling the lanyard, spin the starter, and then click it on to fire it. I have done this several times when I ran my batteries down too far with the stereo or fridge.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we used to have to do this with race cars that had lots of compression and a locked dist, if you are close to stock compression, even with a locked dist should be fine, do recommend using a good gear reduction starter and good quality battery..
Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its only 10.5 to 1 comp, ive been thru 2 starters, ran fine just starts like a *****, ive changed cables, grounds, etc. just something isnt right.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
its only 10.5 to 1 comp, ive been thru 2 starters, ran fine just starts like a *****, ive changed cables, grounds, etc. just something isnt right.
What type of starter are you using?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

We used to do this to bring oil pressure up before firing......never heard anything about starters
Old 01-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I do this when engines have been sitting for a while - like after winter storage.

Originally Posted by Dd24skater
We used to do this to bring oil pressure up before firing......never heard anything about starters
Old 01-22-2014, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

More importantly what are your cam specs? I'm running 10.1:1 with a locked distributor at 34 degrees and a stock Mercury starter. I have a big cam and it bleeds off cylinder pressure at low rpm. I do get the motor cranking before I hit the gas, but I'm carbureted which makes a difference over EFI.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you run your batteries almost dead and the engines won't turn over fast enough to catch - Pop the kill switch and turn the key to get them rolling and push in the button and they fire right up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.