Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need help with choosing cam >

Need help with choosing cam

Notices

Need help with choosing cam

Old 01-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if it's rumor but crane or lunati. But one of them I was told today they went out of business. Any input? Or just rumor?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:32 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any off the shelf cam is cookie cutter. In my first set of motors I ran crane 731's Decent cam but not optimized for my set up. Next motors called Bob Madera, got custom grinds, pricing back then was great. Only thing I changed on the new motors was the cams and a slight bit of intake clean up. Engines made 50 more HP than before and idled better and had way more midrange punch. Do yourself a favor and call Bob.

585-654-8583 Tell him Smitty sent you
Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike tkach
what is the mixed bag about crane cams,i have used a lot of them through the years with great results,have things changed with the new crane cams?
their cams are generic, I'd rather have a cam picked for my combination by an expert that shows genuine interest. Not saying crane are bad and might well end up with one, however there are options
Old 01-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have seen that crane 651 Cam make 900+HP in a few marine 540 blown builds with mild boost, good idle, etc. Nothing generic about that. I have several buddys who run those cams in blown 540s for years making nice power.

With that being said, before I spent the money on them (they aint cheap), I would have Bob Madera grind me some cams. Basically for similar money he can set you up with a nice cam matched to your goals.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 01-12-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
has crane changed ownership? thx, rm
Yes. All new equipment/ tooling from what I've been told.
Looks like they are starting to come out with some new profiles to...
Old 01-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Eliminatorshane
I don't know if it's rumor but crane or lunati. But one of them I was told today they went out of business. Any input? Or just rumor?
I was told Lunati was just bought out.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

to the OP, The process of cam selection is based on so many variables that it would be hard for us as OSO members to come up with the correct grind for your set up, So many times guys will end up with more cam that they need and in doing so sacrifice drivability and mid range. Your must first define your most used RPM range(will it be at 6k for 90% of your running, or 4-55k) the hull type, drive gearing, prop pitch and diameter, all have to be factored in along with the obvious engine components. Large duration Cams might sound great but you will have little throttle response through the mid range, It's all about trade offs and valve train reliability, I think you need to call the different suppliers and ENGINE BUILDERS and talk to them to see what they all recommend. then compare and see what makes the most sense for your application. JMO.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
Any off the shelf cam is cookie cutter. In my first set of motors I ran crane 731's Decent cam but not optimized for my set up. Next motors called Bob Madera, got custom grinds, pricing back then was great. Only thing I changed on the new motors was the cams and a slight bit of intake clean up. Engines made 50 more HP than before and idled better and had way more midrange punch. Do yourself a favor and call Bob.

585-654-8583 Tell him Smitty sent you
Did your boat run any faster top end?
Old 01-13-2014, 03:52 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black baja...Yes I picked up 2 mph. More importantly is how well the engines run, start and idle. If I didn't tell you, you would guess the motors were stock 502's, they run so well. It is a combo of right cam to tie it all the other parts together and having the tune done by Mark at Precision.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Yes. All new equipment/ tooling from what I've been told.
Looks like they are starting to come out with some new profiles to...
yes,cetianly not generic cookie cutter cams as some have stated,crane has a lot of grinds for a lot of different engines but one needs to have the know how to pick the right one,thats where bob madera comes in,give him your information and he will set you up with a cam.i am not in the cam buisness so i will no longer give any advice on cam selection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.