Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cylinder head port sizes. >

Cylinder head port sizes.

Notices

Cylinder head port sizes.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Great thread. Glad to see informative posts, without bashing and arguing.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

I agree Very Refreshing!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Yes , I was starting to think these types of threads were gone forever . Great conversation , great information ! I'm all ears .
Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

no bashing yet because the bashers have not found this thread yet.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
no bashing yet because the bashers have not found this thread yet.
Well don't incite them! I've lots to learn still!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Registered

My experience on a blown motor is put the best flowing heads your budget can afford. The more the heads flow, the less boost required to achieve your HP goals. I have upgraded heads on motors where everything remained the same except head port size/flow and experienced that boost went down at higher RPM and HP went up proportionally. That said, I agree that under most circumstances you cannot overhead a blown motor in a boat application unless the motor has an seriously undersized blower (blower is too small for the displacement). All componants do need to compliment and support each other.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Forget about all that port size stuff Joe, on a BBC , combustion chamber improvements is where its at.
dan,while combustion chamber is important as gm learned in the 60s,the best combustion chamber in the world will not cover issues caused from crappy port design.im not busting your balls im just stating facts.the pic of your heads looks good and im sure you are giong to see improvement ,your head guy did a really nice job.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,399 Posts

1.5"Hg (vacuum on your guage) = 13.96 PSI actual
because
Normal Atmospheric pressure (O vac and 0 PSI on guage) = actual 14.7psi.

2 pounds of boost on your guage = 16.7psi
5 pounds = 19.7psi
10 pounds = 24.7PSI
Old 03-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

You would only have 14.7psi if your cylinders were a perfect vacuum. You'll only have some differential pressure, not 14.7.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Don Johnson
My experience on a blown motor is put the best flowing heads your budget can afford. The more the heads flow, the less boost required to achieve your HP goals. I have upgraded heads on motors where everything remained the same except head port size/flow and experienced that boost went down at higher RPM and HP went up proportionally. That said, I agree that under most circumstances you cannot overhead a blown motor in a boat application unless the motor has an seriously undersized blower (blower is too small for the displacement). All componants do need to compliment and support each other.
Yes! What you're seeing here is how different physical properties make the readings deceiving. Common logic is more boost = more air, and that's a bit misleading. More boost = more resistance to flow.

In your case your flow path became more efficient, thus lowering resistance to flow.

Beware, engineer ramblings below-

How come we (uhh, I mean those that have forced induction) monitor boost when we could be monitoring mass air flow? Obviously the technology exists... This would really only be good for testing, as once you have the runners/valves/cam dialed in, theyre not changing. Ambient pressure, especially for those on the sea, is pretty close to constant. Temp is almost moot.

You'd use a MAF setup to do real time flow testing of blower/head/cam combos, derive some constants/coefficients for the setup, and have a pretty damn good baseline.

I dunno, maybe people do this already,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.