496 ho engine hp upgrades? >

496 ho engine hp upgrades?

Notices

496 ho engine hp upgrades?

Old 03-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

How did you set up the fuel system? - I know you didnt use the stock regulator LOL
Who did your ECU?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
How did you set up the fuel system? - I know you didnt use the stock regulator LOL
Who did your ECU?
This package went into a 27' Eliminator deck boat, dual fuel tanks. Took out the Imco 3 port fuel selector, installed a 5 port Imco. Changed the tank fittings to 1/2 npt with -10, installed -8 tank returns. The 3.3 Whipple comes with regulator, fuel pump, fuel filter head which is a 4 port for a return. I optioned to return back to tanks.
Dustin, Calibrated the ECM. This was run on my dyno, after going into the boat with the Dana Exhaust, we made some changes. You have to have the correct data for Dustin, to make accurate calibration changes. RPM, MAP, A/F RATIO. I wouldn't just go install it in the boat and run it, in a uncontrolled situation.
This engine in the 1st phase was done last year with the stock nodular crank and only 5 # boost it was @ 765 hp, 770 torque. We decided to change crankshaft to a 4340 at that time we thought; we had a bad crankshaft reluctor wheel. So we changed to new crank, new reluctor wheels, also install ARP Main studs to eliminate the stock bolts. We had intermittent issues with loosing crank signal, chased the crank sensor. We ended up disconnecting the cam sensor, which did put it into default, with batch fire of injectors and wasted spark on the coils. Made back to back perfect pulls. Found cam sensor an extra .080 away cam gear, corrected that and it's perfect.
Neither, Dustin, Alex Haxby, nor myself can figure why the cam and rpm sync would not default to batch fire and wasted spark.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Registered

how to get 500 hp in 496 ho
Old 03-31-2015, 01:25 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

What was your crank signal 24 X or 56 X or 63 X - The cam sensor and gear / reluctor to it all changed as well or was that stock OEM factory being used ? . Just asking. What year 496 and engine serial number from the OEM ?

I only glanced at the posts but will read more depth into them. I would like to see if something comes to mind. Not saying oh here is your problem but I like think in depth about some of these puzzles.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 PM
Registered

I put some Dana Exhaust ( if they still making them) on a 496 . I would do it again 2 mph. good bottom and top end results .
sound a bit better .
Old 04-01-2015, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following - soon to be owner of twin 496's...
Old 04-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 4,313 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Nice numbers and builds MER.

OP I have (2) 8.1 blocks one already has the Raylar kit bottom end ready to go

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...t-etc-etc.html
Old 04-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Nice numbers and builds MER.

OP I have (2) 8.1 blocks one already has the Raylar kit bottom end ready to go

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...t-etc-etc.html
The 2.3 will not support those numbers, you would have to have a 3.3. I had a guy contact me last year about using a 2.3, both Dustin and myself agreed; that would not happen with a 2.3.
The cost of upgrading a 8.1 is expensive, getting into a good crankshaft and using custom pistons to meet the demands of the engine build.