Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bad Head Gasket or what ??? Help >

Bad Head Gasket or what ??? Help

Notices

Bad Head Gasket or what ??? Help

Old 04-28-2014, 05:21 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would JB weld the corroded pits on head and manifold surfaces and sand back flat. then I would buy a pair of heat exchangers and STOP ELECTROPLATING THE OCEAN WITH YOUR ENGINE!!! cmon people...2 grand for a bare 502 block. 800 minimum per aluminum head. and if the aluminum heads are as thin as the iron heads where the valve guides are, they may be rotted through and 50 cents a pound. I'm running a junk smallblock with Dart iron heads this year and I'm gonna run antifreeze in it.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
you should know you build enough of them and have been in the same situation..
now quit starting trouble,,,
you talk a lot of chit around here latley,what engine did i build thet hydrolocked?none but you try to stir up chit.haxby was right about you,just an internet troll!you have some serious issues.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
I would JB weld the corroded pits on head and manifold surfaces and sand back flat. then I would buy a pair of heat exchangers and STOP ELECTROPLATING THE OCEAN WITH YOUR ENGINE!!! cmon people...2 grand for a bare 502 block. 800 minimum per aluminum head. and if the aluminum heads are as thin as the iron heads where the valve guides are, they may be rotted through and 50 cents a pound. I'm running a junk smallblock with Dart iron heads this year and I'm gonna run antifreeze in it.
jb weld will not hold up,the parts will need to be welded and remachined.i agree about runing heat exchanger in salt water.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
jb weld will not hold up,the parts will need to be welded and remachined.i agree about runing heat exchanger in salt water.
Plus one on this - there is a reason that Merc went with closed cooling on their newer generation of engines.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Nordic95 Do you have an update status as of yet?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you check the exhaust as well?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I pressured test exhaust header. 15 psi of air for two hours. It held fine. Then I went to pressure test block and instant air out the #8 spark plug hole. So I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Sorry to hear that, but back to your original post you asked about the headgaskets, and yes if you have one bad replace the other, also inspect the head and block for cracks. don't assume anything, now is the time for a total and comprehensive inspection. Details, details, details. Good luck and lets us know what you find.