Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Battery Selector Switch?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/312303-battery-selector-switch.html)

253 05-14-2014 02:55 PM

Battery Selector Switch??

OK. Guys, I have a stupid question, so bear with me.
Recently had trouble starting my starboard engine, I have always ran both of the selector switches on the ,,Both Battery,, setting for years, it always worked perfectly,
so couple weeks ago my starboard engine would crank , but not fire, so after looking and trying several other things first, connections, etc., I turned that engine Battery Selector switch to the #1 Battery setting, she fired immediately , A couple days later I tried the same thing again, and again I had to turn the selector to #1, or #2 battery setting to get her to fire, it will fire on either #1 or #2 battery setting, what am I missing here, why will it crank just fine on the ,,Both Battery ,, setting ,but not fire.
If the selector switch goes bad, will it still crank the starter but kill the ignition.

Thanks

inspector747 05-14-2014 03:41 PM

You may have a faulty selector switch (Not uncommon). Possible to swap the selector switches and see?

253 05-14-2014 05:12 PM

I agree , I don't understand why it will crank but not fire .

wannabe 05-14-2014 06:17 PM

Check your ground wires too. I had my port outboard was weak no matter what battery setting. I finally looked at the battery- corrosion on neg terminal. Cleaned it up and Presto fixed.

Wannabe

253 05-14-2014 10:09 PM

I have checked and cleaned both batteries and every ground wire I could find, none were dirty or corroded, it did not help any.

Thanks

253 05-18-2014 09:44 AM

Are there any electrical wiring experts out there that know how the battery selector switch wires into the ignition, apparently it can let the engine crank over, but kill the ignition so it won't fire
Thanks

Bondo 05-18-2014 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 253 (Post 4123969)
Are there any electrical wiring experts out there that know how the battery selector switch wires into the ignition, apparently it can let the engine crank over, but kill the ignition so it won't fire
Thanks

Ayuh,.... That's Impossible,....

The ignition is wired from the motor,.... Well beyond the battery selector,...

Only the batteries are controlled by the battery switch,....

Get out yer test light, 'n figure out what's happenin',....

253 05-19-2014 09:25 AM

I agree, I have had my test light on everything, I have unplugged all connections and checked them, all grounds, batteries, etc, but occasionally starboard won't fire,

US1 Fountain 05-19-2014 02:58 PM

Kill switch

253 05-21-2014 09:41 AM

Checked the kill switch too, hope I found it in a faulty coil wire
Thanks .