Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   500 EFI Issues. Wont Stay running......PLEASE HELP!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/312308-500-efi-issues-wont-stay-running-please-help.html)

36outlawguy 05-14-2014 06:48 PM

500 EFI Issues. Wont Stay running......PLEASE HELP!!

I have twin 1999 500 efi's in my boat. I pulled the boat out of storage today and I went to go start it. It will run for about 1 minute then die......like is is out of fuel. I took off the fuel filter and it make a hiss noise like pressure had built up and the fuel filter was only 1/2 full. I refilled the fuel filter with fuel and it starts right up. Again, only runs for about 1 minute at idle and then dies. When I turn the key you can hear a whining noise like always. If I turn the key on an off a bunch of times (more then 10), the boat will start again but then die after 1 minute. Here is the most confusing part- both motors do the same thing!!?? I cannot figure it out. I think I am looking my marbles!! There is plently of fuel in it, new fuel filters, etc. What am I missing?? Please help......leaving for a triip in 1 week. Thanks guys.. Mike

1 MAIDEN AMERICA 05-14-2014 07:07 PM

Plugged tank vent? See how long it runs with the cap off.

mike tkach 05-14-2014 07:08 PM

this might sound silly but did you charge the battery,s?

mike tkach 05-14-2014 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA (Post 4122166)
Plugged tank vent? See how long it runs with the cap off.

dam good idea! but both tanks,maybe.

36outlawguy 05-14-2014 07:14 PM

I can recharge them but they are charged enough to start the boat though.

36outlawguy 05-14-2014 07:15 PM

I took off the cap and blew compressed air into the take to make sure the vents weren't clogged. There were not. :(

MDGperformance 05-14-2014 07:26 PM

hook up fuel psi gauge on rail when it quits make sure psi is also dropping to make sure it is a fuel issue ,then i would hook the engine up to test fuel tank,if it still does it bad fuel pump,if problem goes away you have a restriction in the fuel line,probably in the anti syphon valve if it has one.The early 500 efi only had the electric pump while the later ones also had a mechanical pump which could also be your issue

SB 05-14-2014 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 36outlawguy (Post 4122154)
I took off the fuel filter and it make a hiss noise like pressure had built up and the fuel filter was only 1/2 full. I refilled the fuel filter with fuel and it starts right up. Again, only runs for about 1 minute at idle and then dies. When I turn the key you can hear a whining noise like always. If I turn the key on an off a bunch of times (more then 10), the boat will start again but then die after 1 minute. Here is the most confusing part- both motors do the same thing!!?? I cannot figure it out. I think I am looking my marbles!! There is plently of fuel in it, new fuel filters, etc. What am I missing?? Please help......leaving for a triip in 1 week. Thanks guys.. Mike

Good info. The hiss will be from breaking a vacuum, not from psi inside filter. This means you either have an air leak before the filter/seperator - crack in fuel tank pickup, loose fitting, hose, filter oring - or a restriction like an antiphon valve sticking.

Filling the separator/filter and it running for a bit means from filter to electric pump to engine working fine.

Tighten all hose clamps, see if any fitting can be tightened a little more, and if that doesn't work....check antisiphon valve and then tank pickup.

36outlawguy 05-14-2014 07:36 PM

MDGperformance- I do not have a fuel PSI gauge. Again, both engines are doing the exact same thing......what are the chances that both fuel pumps are bad? They are both electronic. Where is the anti-syphon valve?

36outlawguy 05-14-2014 07:38 PM

Where is the anti-siphon valve? I have a 1999 36 outlaw.