Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Any feedback on Venture aluminum trailers? specifically the tandem 5k axle 8725 >

Any feedback on Venture aluminum trailers? specifically the tandem 5k axle 8725

Notices

Any feedback on Venture aluminum trailers? specifically the tandem 5k axle 8725

Old 07-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Since it’s raining, I thought I’d give this post a more complete answer. So is a Venture trailer a good trailer for the OP? I think we need to look at what’s important to a buyer first to answer that question.

Price: If a low purchase price is important to you, A Venture trailer is awfully hard to beat. As I mentioned earlier though, you generally get what you pay for.

Intended Use: If all you do with your trailer is park your boat on it for the winter, again, a Venture is awfully hard to beat. (If it’s adjusted correctly to the hull.) If you do some serious long hauling with your rig, go back to the last sentence above.

Designed / Built for your Boat: Some trailers (Manning, Myco, Eagle, etc.) are specifically designed for your boat on a CAD system – right down to the engines and drives. (Because they affect the Center of balance.) Most of these trailers are also fully welded and about the only thing one can adjust is the fore / aft positioning of the Winch Stand. (If it can’t be adjusted, it can’t drift out of adjustment.) Every Venture trailer I’ve ever worked on was at best a “adjust to get it close to fitting your hull” deal. Sometimes you can get real close and sometimes you cannot.

Construction Quality: All aluminum I-Beam trailers look pretty much the same and indeed look pretty good to the naked eye when new. But shiny aluminum (or fresh galvanized steel) are not the only things that are important to a well-built trailer. Component selection and installation are critical too. I’ve seen some quality gaffs on brand new Venture trailers that would curl your hair.

Strength: Any well designed trailer will hold and haul your boat. But how much of a safety factor the manufacturer uses is highly variable. I’ve seen some Venture trailers that were ordered and built for specific boats that flexed so much it was downright scary.

Easy to Load you Boat: Trailers that are custom designed specifically for your boat also feature bunk (or roller) sizing, spacing and placement that make it almost impossible to load your boat off center. With a Venture, sometimes you can adjust the bunks to allow this. Many times you simply cannot.

In summary, Venture makes trailers that are absolutely perfect for a good number of boaters. What you need to do is decide if what you want / need in a trailer fits with what they can provide.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the input from everyone. i have spoken to one of the techs from venture and i'm going to get him some measurements from my boat and see if they can set one up correctly for my step hull. that universal 3x8 beam will not work for me.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Gold Member

I have one under my 33.no complaints.and I do long trips on it too.no problems
Old 07-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had one like that for 6-7 years, traded boats kept the trailer, great, did redo the brakes about 2 years ago as the wheel cylinders started leaking...would not hesitate to buy another...
Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Since it’s raining, I thought I’d give this post a more complete answer. So is a Venture trailer a good trailer for the OP? I think we need to look at what’s important to a buyer first to answer that question.

Price: If a low purchase price is important to you, A Venture trailer is awfully hard to beat. As I mentioned earlier though, you generally get what you pay for.

Intended Use: If all you do with your trailer is park your boat on it for the winter, again, a Venture is awfully hard to beat. (If it’s adjusted correctly to the hull.) If you do some serious long hauling with your rig, go back to the last sentence above.

Designed / Built for your Boat: Some trailers (Manning, Myco, Eagle, etc.) are specifically designed for your boat on a CAD system – right down to the engines and drives. (Because they affect the Center of balance.) Most of these trailers are also fully welded and about the only thing one can adjust is the fore / aft positioning of the Winch Stand. (If it can’t be adjusted, it can’t drift out of adjustment.) Every Venture trailer I’ve ever worked on was at best a “adjust to get it close to fitting your hull” deal. Sometimes you can get real close and sometimes you cannot.

Construction Quality: All aluminum I-Beam trailers look pretty much the same and indeed look pretty good to the naked eye when new. But shiny aluminum (or fresh galvanized steel) are not the only things that are important to a well-built trailer. Component selection and installation are critical too. I’ve seen some quality gaffs on brand new Venture trailers that would curl your hair.

Strength: Any well designed trailer will hold and haul your boat. But how much of a safety factor the manufacturer uses is highly variable. I’ve seen some Venture trailers that were ordered and built for specific boats that flexed so much it was downright scary.

Easy to Load you Boat: Trailers that are custom designed specifically for your boat also feature bunk (or roller) sizing, spacing and placement that make it almost impossible to load your boat off center. With a Venture, sometimes you can adjust the bunks to allow this. Many times you simply cannot.

In summary, Venture makes trailers that are absolutely perfect for a good number of boaters. What you need to do is decide if what you want / need in a trailer fits with what they can provide.
You summed it up pretty good, mine is a little harder to load then my Eagle, flexes more and after adusting/moving things around the boat fits ok but not as good as my Eagle. My boat sits higher on it than the Eagle too which makes it wander a little and a little less stable when you get above 70mph and even worse above 85-90 mph and just outright ugly over 100 when towing, FWIW, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 07-16-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am friends with Terry that owns Ace trailers here in the Tampa area, He will build you a quality custom aluminum trailer however you like at a reasonable price. Give him a shout and he will answer all your questions... 813-610-5494
Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
You summed it up pretty good, mine is a little harder to load then my Eagle, flexes more and after adusting/moving things around the boat fits ok but not as good as my Eagle. My boat sits higher on it than the Eagle too which makes it wander a little and a little less stable when you get above 70mph and even worse above 85-90 mph and just outright ugly over 100 when towing, FWIW, Smitty
do you really tow your boat 70-90 mph?or are you being funny?jus wondering
Old 07-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by bcfountain
do you really tow your boat 70-90 mph?or are you being funny?jus wondering
I have towed up to 85 mph but try to keep it under 80 for most part as its easier on tires and such, I was waiting for someone to get there pantys in a bunch over the 100 mph comment
Old 07-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Gold Member

I have towed up to 85 mph but try to keep it under 80 for most part as its easier on tires and such, I was waiting for someone to get there pantys in a bunch over the 100 mph comment
Old 07-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I really thought I was going to see 30 angry replies after that one. Bummer