oil spray from the front of a new 502 motor custom built

Notices

oil spray from the front of a new 502 motor custom built

Old 08-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Dpad
no electric and the way its wired is nuts they have the hot on the postive side of the oil pressure switch on that back of the block so once its see pressure it kicks on and builds about 12 psi there is no bypass on the fuel back o the tank not sure if the carb can hold back fuel so having it running when the motor is not is not a good idea plus if you loose oil pressure it will kill the full pump is that the idea behind this setup
Thais wired how it should be. The problem is the fuel pressure. Carbed engines should only have about 7psi.

My guess is fuel is diluting the oil and washing the cylinders. It most likely is slowly taking out the bearings also.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i think we are on to it now I hope we caught it in time I didnt hear any bearing nock I have ordered a few items including the holley inline reg set at 7 psi i am going to do another oil change before the motor gets turned over again along with the right filters we where told to run straight 40 whats your thoughts on this
Old 08-12-2014, 03:48 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

run the straight 40 to get things sorted and flushed at least 2-3 quick changes as it's hard to get everything out due to the oil cooler. I'd switch to a synthetic 20/50 after that
Old 08-12-2014, 04:24 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Recheck/readjust your float levels when at 7psi.

It is possible that you have bent the arms to the floats. I haven't seen it from too much psi as I've never had nor seen one run that high, just talking theoretically.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

While his fuel / rough run issue is addressed, there hasn't been much discussion on the oil loss. Last time I saw anything close to what he's describing, (about 1994) some genius had put the seal in the timing cover backwards, and the more rpms, the more crankcase pressure, and the oil was pushed right on past the backward seal and harmonic balancer... didn't seem to leak at idle, but increase the rpm's and presto - old faithful was spewing.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And don't forget about the oil pressure! 20 psi at 1000-1200 sounds really low. My 502's are running a 20w-50 mobile one and when hot are at 60psi at 1000 RPM's. I would be worried about 20 psi!!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Dpad
no electric and the way its wired is nuts they have the hot on the postive side of the oil pressure switch on that back of the block so once its see pressure it kicks on and builds about 12 psi there is no bypass on the fuel back o the tank not sure if the carb can hold back fuel so having it running when the motor is not is not a good idea plus if you loose oil pressure it will kill the full pump is that the idea behind this setup

first thing, buy a box of comma's and a case of periods and try them. then do what everyone says and pull it and have a good marine shop look at it.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jess, much help!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:05 AM
Registered

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, comma

.................................................. ......................................... period

Is that enough for you?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Registered

To all that took the time to read my posts and help thank you. I was in info over load going both ways, the reason for this is this boat is more than just for fun.

This boat belonged to my uncle my nephew father who passed away a few years ago now his son has it and its means allot to both of us and getting it right means allot. I told him that his father is testing both of us his patience and my memory.

The boat had a different owner for a few years until his son bought it back and things where changed, putting it back to the way it needs will be a process but at the end it will be well worth it.

It’s a 24 ft super boat classic lines it’s a 79 and it’s a clean boat.

I will post our progress over the next few weeks and I still may have a few questions.

Oh Front seats I like to change them any recommendations on seats for this boat. There are square wood platforms that a seats can bolt to the wood framed seats have seen better days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.