Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bilge pump in Fountain left running dry- are they toast? >

Bilge pump in Fountain left running dry- are they toast?

Notices

Bilge pump in Fountain left running dry- are they toast?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilge pump in Fountain left running dry- are they toast?

The bilge pump switch on the dash was accidently flipped last night while putting on the cockpit cover and I discovered it running the next morning (about 12 hrs+). There was no water in the bilge and it ran dry the entire time. Is it ruined like a seawater impeller or are they designed to run dry? I will be pulling the boat out of the water in a few days and will run water into the bilge to see if they all (I have 3 pumps) work but would like to know if I should be looking at ordering replacements now.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

It should be fine. They are not a rubber contact impeller like a sea pump impeller. They are more like a screw drive that conveys water. They test run them dry for hours in quality checks. At least the attwood ones are.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the make/model and look up on the internet. Many modern pumps can run dry without damage. If unable to find out call the manuf.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Registered

The pumps are in a 2005 Fountain so I assume relatively modern and surprisingly sounded normal when I caught it the next day. In any event I'll test them in a few days but I'm feeling some relief with your comments. thx
Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I test mine at the beginning of each season, and at some point midway throughout the season. I was quite surprised that the bilge pumps are so quiet when operating.

Why wouldn't it be a good idea to have an alarm on the pump - that way you know if/when its running? I guess on some boats it would be going off all the time, but....
Old 08-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

When my pump is on the light on my switch goes on whether by dash switch or float switch.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, mine does too - but if putting your cover on, and accidentally bump the switch, you may not notice.

Originally Posted by Rookie
When my pump is on the light on my switch goes on whether by dash switch or float switch.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put plug in put some water in and see if they pump ok...
Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not exactly on topic, but I have always hated where they mounted the pump on my boat. They have it mounted way up under the front of the engine. When it runs, it still leaves several inches of water in the bilge under the oil pan. Only thing I can figure is they were worried about clearance with the oil sump.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by gregm35
The bilge pump switch on the dash was accidently flipped last night while putting on the cockpit cover and I discovered it running the next morning (about 12 hrs+). There was no water in the bilge and it ran dry the entire time. Is it ruined like a seawater impeller or are they designed to run dry? I will be pulling the boat out of the water in a few days and will run water into the bilge to see if they all (I have 3 pumps) work but would like to know if I should be looking at ordering replacements now.
I had one of mine in my Fountain run for a weekend once, came in my shop on a monday morning & herd a noise, the starbord pump was switched on & it ran all weekend. It still works fine, and that was two years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.