Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Innovative Wideband A/F system - cable too short >

Innovative Wideband A/F system - cable too short

Notices

Innovative Wideband A/F system - cable too short

Old 10-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 4,293 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I had two of these and neither would reach to the dash , .. let me back up, Innovate was the only one to say its fine to splice and lenghten the wiring harness (not the o2 sensor)
The others like Autometer told me that the gauge relies on a certain resistance and that I couldn`t do it.
I put probably a 4' extension on both gauges . No issues at all.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I extended the 5 wires on my Aem gauge (added approximately 10 feet) and it worked fine.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:25 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Last edited by GPM; 10-20-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I had two of these and neither would reach to the dash , .. let me back up, Innovate was the only one to say its fine to splice and lenghten the wiring harness (not the o2 sensor)
The others like Autometer told me that the gauge relies on a certain resistance and that I couldn`t do it.
I put probably a 4' extension on both gauges . No issues at all.

Yea, that's kind of what I was expecting to hear. Nice setup!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by ACrooks69
They make a 20ft cable. Its about 50 bucks or so. I didn't feel like cutting up the original cable.
yup,thats what I got,2 actually,helped out alot

heres a link to 1

http://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motor.../dp/B001S7PI6K
Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by hadleycat
I extended the 5 wires on my Aem gauge (added approximately 10 feet) and it worked fine.
if I were to splice,,I'd look for low resistance solder.we're talking milli-volts as a signal and it doesn't take much.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by needavdub
P.S.
I just had another thought. If Innovate doesn't give you the answer you need I think I'd probably do temporary installation without lengthening the wires (maybe just have someone hold the gauge) and then go run it while recoding the data. Then add your extra wire and install where you like it and run it again. If the data stays consistent then it's safe to assume it that the extra length of wiring had no effect on the accuracy. I'm not sure how feasible that really is for you because where I live boating season is over and I didn't see a location in your profile. Just a thought.
If you are going to lengthen them, what need said is the only way to do it. The resistance of the added cable may lower the readings enough to make them worthless, but may not. I have seen people make crazy splices and repairs to O2 sensors and it worked fine, OTOH I was involved with a Mercedes that needed the entire powertrain harness replaced because of a slight increase in resistance of one sensor wire, man that gets pricey!
Old 10-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Registered

I've got an 18' cable on the way. I wish Innovative just told me that was an option to begin with.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the hijack, although it seems this problem has been solved, but out of curiosity. For the guys who are running permanently mounted O2 sensors. What kind of life span are you seeing with them?

This is something I would like to add to my boat, custom built 800's with carbs and blowers. So that I can better monitor whats going on with them. But I have had very differing opinions on the life expectancy of the sensors. Do you have to replace them yearly? several times a season? More, less?

How expensive are the sensors? Is there a parts store replacement that will work or do you have to go back to Innovate or Autometer, or whoever you got the gauges from?
Old 10-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Registered

I have no experience, but have read of people getting many seasons with them installed. I think it largely depends on per application and water exposure onto the sensor itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.