Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Blown head gasket and worn wrist pin... rebuild advise? >

Blown head gasket and worn wrist pin... rebuild advise?

Notices

Blown head gasket and worn wrist pin... rebuild advise?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:12 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Budman is correct.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by So2fast5u
I would agree. In my experience with them it has never made a difference. We spun them high rpm for yr after yr with no problems. I have fixed a few solid flat tappet cams and the lobes are tapered to the front so it pulls the cam back. We mixed them up all the time. Hell we even tried putting solid lifters on the exhaust in Stock classes to gain an edge never changed a thing tho. Us poor boys tried all kinds of crap but we learned a lot too.
i know you are new to the marine thing so i will let you in on a little secret,if you mix match the flat tappets on your costumer,s boat engine and a lobe goes flat,you will be pulling the engine to do the repair,FOR FREE.when you are done with that job you will have learned a valuable lesson that you wont soon forget.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:17 PM
SB
Registered

The lifters you want to use have a different bottom from main body: most notably the Delphi (name ring a bell?) or Johnsons.

PS: good lifters don't make a 'soft' cam core correct though.

They look like this:

Not like this:
Old 11-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i know you are new to the marine thing so i will let you in on a little secret,if you mix match the flat tappets on your costumer,s boat engine and a lobe goes flat,you will be pulling the engine to do the repair,FOR FREE.when you are done with that job you will have learned a valuable lesson that you wont soon forget.
U left out the part where a customer got a brand new cam and lifter and still wiped out a lobe. Seen it happen many times. Oh and I would not say it's a smart thing to mix them but i have yet to see a problem caused by it. It's not a secret to fix your own f ups. That's called maning up. I have done it don't worry! !
Old 11-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Registered

U left out the part where a customer got a brand new cam and lifter and still wiped out a lobe. Seen it happen many times. Oh and I would not say it's a smart thing to mix them but i have yet to see a problem caused by it. It's not a secret to fix your own f ups. That's called maning up. I have done it don't worry! !
yes today,s flat tappet cams do have a high failure rate,that is why i talk people into a hyd roller setup.if they insist on a flat tappet i tell them up front that if it fails the repair is on them,not me.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Registered

so you have seen new flat tappet cam,s fail many times but never seen one fail with mis matched lifters?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:06 PM
SB
Registered

The mismatched one's must have been in motors with fuelie / double hump heads.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
The lifters you want to use have a different bottom from main body: most notably the Delphi (name ring a bell?) or Johnsons.

PS: good lifters don't make a 'soft' cam core correct though.

They look like this:

Not like this:
Ive got a new set of those Chevrolet High Performance/Delphi hard face lifters here. They look just like the ones in your pics. #5232720 I bought these lifters a while back, as I was told they do not bleed down nearly as fast as as some of the other performance brands. The body and face are not the same material.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
The mismatched one's must have been in motors with fuelie / double hump heads.
do you have esp?i just replaced a flat tappet cam on a 406 sbc with dbl hump heads.nice hyd roller.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
so you have seen new flat tappet cam,s fail many times but never seen one fail with mis matched lifters?
Correct... why? The lifter just slowly spins around on the cam lobe. It's not like a ring that seats in a bore. The lifter has no idea or cares what lifter or lobe it came from. They should all be the same. I'm not going to go back and forth about this but I will ask how u would know so much about this if u never had a motor with them switched around ? I have done a bunch of swapping around with no adverse affects. Not saying it's right but I BELIVE
it don't make a bit difference where they go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.