Piston to valve clearance - 454 Mag short block

Notices

Piston to valve clearance - 454 Mag short block

Old 11-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Tom, I don't think you will have an issue with flat top or small dome pistons and a 731. I am running a cam with .596 / .612 lift and similar duration to the 731 with flat tops, and it wasn't even close to interference. No need to go larger than 2.19 / 1.88 with the relatively small bore of a 454 block, from what I have been told.
When I was talking to Bob Madura last week, we were thinking the lift would be in the lower-mid .600 range. I haven't made my mind up regarding the cam just yet (I'm in "inventory" mode right now), but I know the 731 works for a lot of people. Good to know that it will fit without too much difficulty.

Also, this is going to be a blown setup. I don't think the 2.19 intake will hurt it. Agreed that the 2.19 works much better on the smaller bore of the 454.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom knowing what I know in my opinion anyone building a marine engine if it be a max effort or a mild "warm up" would be foolish not to buy a cam from Bob. I've had some lengthy technical discussions with the man and believe me his depth of knowledge goes much farther than what most of us know. If you are trying to get everything out of the combination you have his camshaft is the only way to go.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Tom knowing what I know in my opinion anyone building a marine engine if it be a max effort or a mild "warm up" would be foolish not to buy a cam from Bob. I've had some lengthy technical discussions with the man and believe me his depth of knowledge goes much farther than what most of us know. If you are trying to get everything out of the combination you have his camshaft is the only way to go.
Agreed. And he's done my cams before (I have one of his SBC cams listed in the Swap Shop). I was just looking at generailities. I know Bob will set me up the right way for sure.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Does anyone have any proven data that shows a 2.19 valve works better on a 454 than a 2.25? What cylinder heads are we talking about here? A small oval or GM rectangle port, or aftermarket rectangle port?
Old 11-25-2014, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I read where a guy did some flow bench testing, and by simply moving the head over some on the stand was able to gain 12 CFM. The context being that moving even the 2.19 valve away from the cylinder wall picked up some airflow.

Last edited by TomZ; 11-25-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Clarity