Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel Stabilizer or Octane Booster? >

Fuel Stabilizer or Octane Booster?

Notices

Fuel Stabilizer or Octane Booster?

Old 12-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fuel Stabilizer or Octane Booster?

Anyone have experience with Torco Racing fuel octane booster vs. StaBil stabilizer as it relates to engine performance? Basically, I'm wondering which is better (for the gas). With StaBil, I understand it slows or prevents Octane degregation. With Torco, it boosts Octane, presumably for some period of time, but doesn't hold it at that boosted level. I'm leaning toward the use of StaBil with 87 octane, rather than Torco that will boost the Octane in the short run, but have the Octane level fall back down (to 87 or lower) in some period of time. Lets assume both products over a 30 day period, which would you use?
Old 12-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they do totally different things...the torco booster is just that boost the octane level a certain # of points, the stabilizer again just does that...keeps the gas from breaking down over a period of time when it sits...as far as time a lot of factors will come into play there...you might ck with torco on the time before breakdown on their additive...
Old 12-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

May I ask why you feel the need to use either product over a 30 day period? Assuming your application requires 87 octane, I don't see why you wouldn't just use pump gas sans any additive.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used Sta-Bil Marine (blue) for the last 4-5 years it has been on the market with excellent results and zero issues. I used the red stuff before that and it worked fine too. Store the tanks full with full dosing of Sta-Bil and run them out the following year. There is a new Sta-Bil 360 out I have not tried yet. I always use 93 octane for a 4-5 mo storage period in case there is a drop in octane.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tested pump gas up to 4 years old, 38 samples total in sealed plastic containers and vented containers. No drop in octane has occurred. Out of 38 samples between 87 - 93 octane has never been below the advertized in in ALL cases the actual octane is .75 to 1.2 octane higher than advertized. 89 octane advertized pump "minimum" will be 90 octane.

Some of this fuel however is foul, brown and is unlikely to burn even with a blow touch, but the octane is ok. octane is not the problem. if in doubt add a fuel stabilizer to cut off the oxygen to the fuel to minimize the loss of fuel addative's.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

For 30 days, nothing is needed. I would use Stabil for 90 day plus lay ups.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:28 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

This should clear all matters up totally so read it very carefully to understand fully . This report is from a company BP that makes / blends / formulates gas in the million gallons per week. Not from someone has no experience with fuel formulations or has never blended gasoline. Also depending on your testing equipment for the do it yourselfer how spot on is the your testing equipment you are using. Anyways the facts below and end of story.

http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-cou...icle-tanks.pdf

And I will say it again the smartest guy about any fuel questions I have ever met is Tim Wusz from Rockett brand fuels.

www.rockettbrand.com

Last edited by BUP; 12-24-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:39 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

A good read

http://www.rockettbrand.com/download...Jan%202011.pdf

I got to meet some Nascar guys and a few of the builders at PRI and they started talking about fuels & racing fuels plus topics about Ethanol fuel that they have to use at ever race. Anyways Tim Wusz name came up and the first comment from their mouths was 'that guy forgot more about fuel than anyone even knows about the subject " Anyways thought it might worth mentioning since I always have hit Tim up with a zillion questions when I run into him or in his classes at PRI.. Really is a wealth of knowledge and a really nice guy on top of.

If you are looking for quality racing fuels - give Rockett Brand fuels a call. I am not affiliated with them either and have no reason to post what I did except for passing on some very solid advice and answers to the topic..

Last edited by BUP; 12-24-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks everyone. As suspected, im going to focus more on the stabilizer than the booster. I plan to run 87 oct as Merc calls for, and will throw some Stabil Marine in for good measure to keep the Octane steady. I said 30 days, but on second thought, probable 60 to 75 more realistically. Much appreciated!

Last edited by imartin; 12-24-2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo