Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
good rockers for 6000 rpm, 540CI combo?? >

good rockers for 6000 rpm, 540CI combo??

Notices

good rockers for 6000 rpm, 540CI combo??

Old 01-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full force, your threads are always entertaining. They go like this-

Welp, I gotta rebuild my engine from the other crack head that built them. Which option should I choose for XYZ component?

---> peanut gallery of answers

Whaaat? That's not what I need, I know I need ABC brand, they're awesome and are what causes the sun to rise in the east.

(Everyone: so why did he even ask)

I'm gonna do this right by God! I'm not using no credit cards, cash only. I'm not rich. But I do my own assembly so I know it's right as rain.

If I were on a computer I would add hyperlinks to show you this. So far it's been this thread, the builder thread, and one about blocks.

...just sayin.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:28 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Actually they go a whole season on a set. American Lemans runs 24 hours with aluminum then the motors get pulled and go an the dyno for 24 hours. Then the motors went into a boat and have 60 hours on them in the boat. With titanium valves and 7000 rpm might I add.
Katech and small blocks ?
Old 01-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Katech and small blocks ?
Yes. I think Katech cams proprietary which they took back also oil system proprietary. When they went in the boat they had regular oil pumps put in and Bullet cams. They really have that stuff figured out. My buddy was a crew chief he got 5 motors out of the cars. 2 went in 30' Profile 3 sitting in his garage for sale. Nothing special but they run like a raped ape.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 182 Posts

Listen do it right the first time,because you sure as hell can't afford to do it right the 2nd time.If that boat doesn't get wet this year it's not the end of the world. Trust me the water isn't going any where, it'll be their next year. I know I thought I would only miss 1 year but it turned out I missed 2 years. Because I did it right and called Bob M and listened to him .Now 496s with 600+ hp with closed cooling sitting in the boat waiting for spring!!!!
Old 01-10-2015, 02:54 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Fully agree Craney.

It's a now world. Thus why companies like Procomp exist. Problem is, parts like that take most people out of a hobby for good...instead of having to wait a few years and then enjoying for a long time.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Fully agree Craney.

It's a now world. Thus why companies like Procomp exist. Problem is, parts like that take most people out of a hobby for good...instead of having to wait a few years and then enjoying for a long time.
Yeah and the real funny things is when it comes to cylinder heads you can buy an as cast set of Brodix heads for about another $400. Not gonna make a ton of power but still a dam nice casting and you could put 30-40lbs of boost into them and not worry about it.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole2534
Full force, your threads are always entertaining. They go like this-

Welp, I gotta rebuild my engine from the other crack head that built them. Which option should I choose for XYZ component?

---> peanut gallery of answers

Whaaat? That's not what I need, I know I need ABC brand, they're awesome and are what causes the sun to rise in the east.

(Everyone: so why did he even ask)

I'm gonna do this right by God! I'm not using no credit cards, cash only. I'm not rich. But I do my own assembly so I know it's right as rain.

If I were on a computer I would add hyperlinks to show you this. So far it's been this thread, the builder thread, and one about blocks.

...just sayin.
Well... if you don't like what I post then don't read them, we will start there.

second, your right I am fixing a hacks mess by starting over.

third, your also right I use cash as I go and it is VERY hard to build 20,000.00 in engines using cash when you are not a high roller, therefore I post asking questions for some advice of opinions, I could simply bolt on my chitty heads, and mismatched rockers with 2 pc pushrods and most likely be ok, ran them 2 seasons that way already, not full seasons but the way I run my boat one month is harder then most guys seasons all summer....So the question was what is a solid rocker that does not break the bank, sure if I had endless budget I would not ask and just buy top end stuff, but thats not the case.

Show me where I said here that is not what I need besides maybe top dollar parts? you telling me the 360.00 Scorpion endurance is a bad choice? seems plenty of guys run them, same as cranes, comp and such, I listen to all and make decisions..also some guys do not know what they are talking about but offer advice anyway.... happens a lot, I assume your engines only have top dollar parts and never break, sorry I don't have endless funds here to deal with and trying to get opinions.

fourth, yes I will be assembling myself with the help of my buddy to make sure things are perfect, I did my 454's myself and had ZERO issues after that besides breaking a non Inconel valve and that was because I was trying to get one season, I am more educated now.

I mean I get it, do the best you can, and I do with what I can afford, I could easily take a season off and build top dollar engines, but I don't want to miss a season if I can only do what I really MUST do, I planned to replace rockers and the point of this WHOLE THREAD was to see what is a good rocker for a budget, I got that answer.

Again, if you do not like my posts, then DON'T READ them.... pass by and move on....
Old 01-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

As far as my heads..... it's easy for all you guys to say yes just replace them, that's another 5000.00 and I am most likely going to find that money and do it, but at the same time I also had the pro comps fixed to spec last year because I found issues in the middle of the season that needed addressed when I got the engines, bigger name people including Gellner and Bob M said since I fixed the heads I should be ok at my levels, yes there is a chance for failure but all the common issues were addressed, and I invested 1700.00 into them heads, it is hard to just chitcan and move on, even though I was advised I would most likely be ok. I am not an idiot, I ask questions, I listen, and I do what I can with that info. I have made mistakes, I learn and move on. I don't need the best top of the line parts in a 650-700 hp 540, good parts yes, best top of the line, no...
Old 01-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I will be going with the Scorpions it looks like when the time comes for rockers, I got my answers, Thx for help guys! Thx Dan.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:50 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't know if these would fit your budget, http://www.compcams.com/ultrapromagnum/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.