marine jobs? >

marine jobs?

Notices

marine jobs?

Old 02-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default marine jobs?

probably since i was 12 i was hooked on boats, they fascinate me and id like to make a career out of it. i love engines and want to work on powerboats, what kind of job in the marine industry would have someone working on boats, marine engines, or something powerboat related?
Old 02-19-2015, 08:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

We have openings at Tiara Yachts. Mechanical rigging dept. is looking as well as lamination and others.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spazboz
We have openings at Tiara Yachts. Mechanical rigging dept. is looking as well as lamination and others.
im not saying im looking for employment (im sorry it really does sound like im activel looking) im still in school and looking for a good career path to choose to get a marine job
Old 02-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

IMO- working for a place like Tiara is most likely your best bet. Working at a marina as a marine mechanic, you will only be able to work on other peoples boats. The pay in the marine industry is pretty low, I'm willing to bet, $20 an hour is probably pretty good pay for a seasoned mechanic. When I was 14, I worked at the local boat yard for a few summers. It was pretty miserable work, other than walking by and looking at the nice boats. If I can give you some advice, go to college and get a degree in something that will pay you enough that you can buy your own boat. Then work it on it for fun.. If you like mechanics, look at becoming a mechanical engineer.

Last edited by endeavour32; 02-19-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:52 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Work on boats as your hobby. There are some prior threads about this as well.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

I will never forget going for a tour with my older brother of Tiara Yachts back in 1982. At the time we were building the 185 barons that would become the powerplay/quests .

My brothers shop was small ,neat and organized. unlike most boat shops that were head to toe fiberglass and dust and junk and who knows what..happened to land there.

Then entered Tiara.

At the time it was like walking into the shop where they built Ferrari's.. IT was Clean , did I say Clean ? It was immaculate and organized.

Tiari was so far ahead of the game with production back than.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

There is nothing good about working on boats, boats are for having fun on.

Now if you have some bucks and you want to enter this game and want to turn some wrenches for your own torture than it may be entertaining

or.if you are single or your wife is fat and up your azz all the time so you need to hide in the garage.a bilge can provide that for you.

Wrenching Sucks for a living.I would rather get a sex change and hook for a living than hang upside down in some bilge for 20 bucks an hour

Last edited by tommymonza; 02-20-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^ post of the week right there!!!!! Bahaha
Old 02-21-2015, 07:50 AM
Registered

Plenty of good paying jobs in the marine industry if you're passionate about it. Go to college and get a degree in Engineering or naval architecture . Marine industry obviously has big swings in sales and production. If you don't land a job right out of school doing exactly what you want to do, give it some time and get as much relevant experience as you can. Also lots of jobs in marine industry that are on the commercial side of the business as opposed to recreational. It's a fine industry to work in...don't expect silicon valley salaries. Best of luck.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:11 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Really do not know how to write this other than saying - Out in the boating public I do not have a huge a name but in certain marine industries I have a huge name. On the marine technicians side, I am involved with a lot going on within that mainstream of the industry as a whole. I have made friends with a lot of the OEM engines manufacturers plus we talk shop all the time at least weekly thru out the year.

Our work force in general does not have a great record to chose from and in the marine side it is 100 ten times worse. All the skilled labor is getting older including myself to crawl all over / around boats plus your old school craftsmanship hands on employee is not common like it use to be.

The Marine trade schools basically are a huge joke and very rarely produce a skilled marine tech. (MMI, Wyo-tech and a few others). The current marine technology that is coming about is changing very quickly and needs skilled trained personal to set it up, work on, fix and make newer advancements. This field is wide open and someone could write their own ticket. I wish I was younger to specialize in this.

The Marine OEM's know this and plus the know they will be in huge trouble down the road because they have no gene pool to pull from to even work on the stuff that is currently out on the market. We talk about this all the time, more so now than ever. Soon even outboard marine engines will have catalyst convertors in them just for an example of whats coming down the pipe.

What a young person needs to do is specialize in one or a couple of fields of this current tech and stay with it, plus keeping up with the changes & advancements. You can not specialize in all marine related engines and electronics as it would be impossible to keep up with everything. Pick a segment of it and learn it forward and backwards. IMO you might be able to write your ticket down the road.

Last edited by BUP; 02-21-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.