Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Garage door issue... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/323131-garage-door-issue.html)

sprink58 02-15-2015 07:01 PM

Garage door issue...

Ok...not something normally found on a boating forum but since we reach a large cross section of boaters from all over...here goes.

We have a two car garage with a Liftmaster Garage Door opener that like most others, uses a laser beam across the opening to prevent the door from closing in the event something crosses the beam while the door is closing. Over the past few days at about the same time every morning the door won't close as if something is interrupting the light beam. In each case there is nothing in the path of the beam.

Understand this is a new issue and has never happened before. Now get this...in the afternoon...the damn thing works !!! It works at night also...just not in the mornings between 8 & 10. I thought about the sun and it's unique angle this time of year so I tried standing in different positions to cast a shadow on the light receiver that gets direct sunlight...makes no difference. I have tried re positioning the location of the beam with no effect.

We have only had this happen this past weekend...usually we are up and away early during the week so we don't have the sun up and everything works fine. Even though here in SE Florida we have beautiful sunny weather this time of year as compared to most other parts of the country, we still have the same short days and long nights until March 21st when the days start getting longer than the nights. This doesn't happen during the summer when it is daylight when we leave.

Has anyone else ever experienced this and have any ideas as to how to remedy this situation?

Thanks in advance.

buck35 02-15-2015 07:32 PM

Try giving it a helping hand as it closes, if that works then its time for a little maintenance. I have a screw drive that doesn't like to close when it's cold.

US1 Fountain 02-15-2015 08:32 PM

Does not begin to close or doesn't close all the way? Using the wired switch or remote?

glassdave 02-15-2015 09:32 PM

I had that problem at my old shop but it was the sun and when I shielded that side where the sun came in low the prob went away. it does not take much light to trigger the sensor and its the direction i believe that does it and sunlight rays are nearly parallel at that distance. it was seasonal and at times it was bad enough I had to bypass the sensor. another solution would be to rotate your property and buildings about 90 degrees :D

picklenjim 02-15-2015 10:31 PM

I didn't even want them things coming into play so I mounted them facing each other on the two pieces of angle that the motor unit hangs from. Done.

sbslinde 02-16-2015 05:41 AM

That ^^^^

masi242 02-16-2015 06:39 AM

Send me a plane ticket and I`ll open the door for you, dam -9 this morning.

sprink58 02-16-2015 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by buck35 (Post 4265388)
Try giving it a helping hand as it closes, if that works then its time for a little maintenance. I have a screw drive that doesn't like to close when it's cold.

Nope...it starts down and then stops and heads back up...regardless of whether I pull on it or not.

As for cold...how about 55* LOL

sprink58 02-16-2015 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 4265441)
I had that problem at my old shop but it was the sun and when I shielded that side where the sun came in low the prob went away. it does not take much light to trigger the sensor and its the direction i believe that does it and sunlight rays are nearly parallel at that distance. it was seasonal and at times it was bad enough I had to bypass the sensor. another solution would be to rotate your property and buildings about 90 degrees :D

Dave...makes sense to me...but this morning at 8:30 I had no problem at all....my fiance left at 9 and all was well. But when I went by the house at 9:35 for a few minutes and left at 9:45...no workie!!!

It's definitely the sun...guess I'll have to come up with a way to shield it....maybe a toilet paper spool or something similar...I don't know...:mad:

sprink58 02-16-2015 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by masi242 (Post 4265513)
Send me a plane ticket and I`ll open the door for you, dam -9 this morning.

Come on...that 242 needs a "Warm Up" any way...LOL