Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   454 fuel leakdown, add Holley red or new carb? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/324002-454-fuel-leakdown-add-holley-red-new-carb.html)

illMATTic 03-13-2015 03:48 PM

454 fuel leakdown, add Holley red or new carb?

So I have the ol' fuel leak down problem on my mid 90's 454. The choke spring is tired as well.

I don't really want to drop $600 on a new carb so I was wondering if just adding a Holley red pump would do the trick.

Thanks

MILD THUNDER 03-13-2015 03:53 PM

I'd rebuild the carb and fix the problem.

CDShack 03-13-2015 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by mild thunder (Post 4278252)
i'd rebuild the carb and fix the problem.

x2

turbo2256b 03-13-2015 05:45 PM

Ar you running a mechinical fuel pump, If so the check valve in the pump could be bad

mike tkach 03-13-2015 08:54 PM

the qj,s from that era were famous for the fuel bowls leaking down.i rebuilt the ones from my 1990 sea ray last year.they have small welsh plugs that seal a drilled passage and after enough hot and cold cycles they leak.the cure is a little epoxy around the plugs.i charge 100 bucks plus parts to rebuild them,pretty easy job.edit in,i get my carb parts from allstate carb&fuel injection.

Rookie 03-13-2015 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 4278374)
the qj,s from that era were famous for the fuel bowls leaking down.i rebuilt the ones from my 1990 sea ray last year.they have small welsh plugs that seal a drilled passage and after enough hot and cold cycles they leak.the cure is a little epoxy around the plugs.i charge 100 bucks plus parts to rebuild them,pretty easy job.

I need to rebuild my carbs on my cruiser. Could this be the excessive turn over before starting, sluggish performance till it has been run out for a bit, foul a plug once in a while and poor idle?

turbo2256b 03-14-2015 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 4278374)
the qj,s from that era were famous for the fuel bowls leaking down.i rebuilt the ones from my 1990 sea ray last year.they have small welsh plugs that seal a drilled passage and after enough hot and cold cycles they leak.the cure is a little epoxy around the plugs.i charge 100 bucks plus parts to rebuild them,pretty easy job.

Yep forgot OP probably had a QJ carb

mike tkach 03-14-2015 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rookie (Post 4278404)
I need to rebuild my carbs on my cruiser. Could this be the excessive turn over before starting, sluggish performance till it has been run out for a bit, foul a plug once in a while and poor idle?

yes,and the choke pull off should also be replaced.

BUP 03-14-2015 05:16 PM

Mike is correct in post 5 also wise to weigh your floats to make sure they are not internally holding fuel and or weighted plus the correct level adjustment is always important.

Just adding info, it is always wise for needle & seat replacement x amount years anyways plus if your carb app has a accelerator pump that 4 surely needs replacing plus very free movement in its chamber. Todays fuel can stick them and or shrink and or tear them. up. Very common especially today.

They guy with hard starts can also be from a bad and or sticking accelerator pump.

Budman II 04-13-2015 09:58 AM

Do a google search for Cliff Ruggles - http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/services.html

He offers a first rate Q-jet rebuilding service, and he also sells kits that have the neoprene seats and floats that are resistant to the ethanol that is finding its way into marine fuel these days. As mentioned above, Q-jets are prone to leaking from the plugs in the fuel bowls. There are several of them. Epoxy will help for a while, but it will eventually degrade and start leaking again. The best permanent fix is to drill and tap them, and then put in some threaded plugs with a high quality epoxy on the threads. It is easier than it sounds.