private sellers opinion on buyer wanting survey >

private sellers opinion on buyer wanting survey

Notices

private sellers opinion on buyer wanting survey

Old 03-16-2015, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the survey protects both parties.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cig92
I would welcome any survey. I don't consider pulling valve covers to be a problem however, it's a bit odd. compression and leak down are normal, but I wouldn't loose a deal over someone wanting to take off valve covers. I would be right there watching the whole time or have the purchaser pay me to do it. it's a lot easier to take 4 valve covers off then part out a boat and answer thousands of other questions about parts. it's a buyers world and sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do.
I would because in order to pull my covers the exhaust has to be pulled as well... and who's to say the guy doesn't just walk away and leave you with a mess to clean up... but that being said, I never sell my boats with power as I'd never get my money back out..
Old 03-16-2015, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Not saying it doesn't happen. Have a friend spent 2 days with a guy. Boat was listed needing a couple repairs. Guy flew in, bought parts, the two then fixed it and then went over everything with a fine tooth comb before they exchanged paperwork. If it was me I would have stuck it on the back lot and forgot about it (for how much $ he had it listed for) before I would have went through all that. But he had to get out from under a payment at any cost.

I wonder, how many of you all willing to jump through hoops need to get it sold for some reason. I've owned all of mine outright so I didn't need to sell and I guess its why I am what I am.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

I wouldn't have any problem with a survey being done if PBC called me and had a buyer for my boat as long as it happens in their shop. I have no problem with a compression and leak down being done either as long as one of PBC's mechanics do it. Heck, I may even split the bill with them if I get a copy of the results.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

After I posted the original thread I also had another thought. How many good surveyors are out there ? I'm sure there have been buyers that were screwed more by the surveyor then by the seller.
and
Would it be best if both the seller and buyer are present during the survey ?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just assume if it's a boat or anything boat related , it's gonna break and cost a lot ...if you can't or are unwilling to accept
those facts , save yourself a lot of grief and heartache and don't buy a boat !
Old 03-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by HALLETT FAN
Just assume if it's a boat or anything boat related , it's gonna break and cost a lot ...if you can't or are unwilling to accept
those facts , save yourself a lot of grief and heartache and don't buy a boat !
Obviously that's true but wouldn't that logic further support having a survey ?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Obviously that's true but wouldn't that logic further support having a survey ?
Of course , my train of thought being ,a survey doesn't mean it won't throw a rod the next day ...
Old 03-16-2015, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts

I think a survey is good for the bigger purchases, It allows a "knowledgeable" professional look over the boat and see if there are any things that are "big ticket items" that might be overlooked or not even seen by either "party" to the sale.
Gives the buyer some confidence that another set of eyes has been on it, gives the seller confidence that he made no representations (or that the buyer misunderstood something said) that weren't addressed by the survey, relieving him of some burden should something go south.
Also, it give someone else to sue if this thing REALLY goes south.
All sales should be clearly "as is" and that should be noted on the sales paperwork. Caveat Emptor is still the law of the land.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

As of today, i tried to buy 6 boats the seller did not have a survey, i paid to get one, and each time no one wanted to lower the price to fix the problem, such as wet transom on a 5 years old boat!

Ask me how many more surveys and 100's of $ i want to spend for free just to find out the seller,s boat is not as he tought it was?

No more! Each boat i had for sale came with a recent survey and mecanical inspection by a certified merc marina, i even always gave 20 hours full warranty, and i sell my boat fast, and not cheap! But buyer is in full confidence...

Just my experience...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.