Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Carb opinions 540's 700 hp... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/324176-carb-opinions-540s-700-hp.html)

Full Force 03-18-2015 07:27 PM

define plenty, almost every person has told me more power with dominators.... I look at it this way too, if I must BUY new ones, would it not be smart to buy carbs that will also support future?

I only have HP500 800's now, that wont be nearly enough..

BenPerfected 03-18-2015 07:39 PM

This Holley Dominator is almost unbelievely out of the box. It is also available with less CFM. We have been screwing around with our old school Dominators for 15+ years including having them reworked by no less than 3 difference carb shops.....still sucked. Our boat would never consistently idle in gear and the spread in RPM in and out of gear caused you to constantly jack with the sticks....the dock manners sucked. Even with two people running the boat, it stalled and was difficult to restart when hot. Whenever we could, we just started the boat in gear. The Ultra Dominators will idle at 450-550 RPM in gear vs 800 RPM in gear with the old style Dominators. This has been the best change to the dock manners of our boat in 10+ years. You can run the Ultra Dominators as delivered with no change in jets or PV's and the AFR is spot on in the midrange and WOT.
How does it know? :D

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/0-80905RD

ROB FREEMAN 03-18-2015 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by BenPerfected (Post 4280758)
This Holley Dominator is almost unbelievely out of the box. It is also available with less CFM. We have been screwing around with our old school Dominators for 15+ years including having them reworked by no less than 3 difference carb shops.....still sucked. Our boat would never consistently idle in gear and the spread in RPM in and out of gear caused you to constantly jack with the sticks....the dock manners sucked. Even with two people running the boat, it stalled and was difficult to restart when hot. Whenever we could, we just started the boat in gear. The Ultra Dominators will idle at 450-550 RPM in gear vs 800 RPM in gear with the old style Dominators. This has been the best change to the dock manners of our boat in 10+ years. You can run the Ultra Dominators as delivered with no change in jets or PV's and the AFR is spot on in the midrange and WOT.
How does it know? :D

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/0-80905RD

how can this be possible with so many differant equations n combos out there .. im interested cause my motors deffinately are a handfull around the docks .. i was just going to lock out my timing and be done with it .. im at 750 but certainly dont want to burn something down just slapping on a base line ajusted carb .. just asking cause you seem very impressed with theese carbs .. i have biggs performance carbs on there now that perform quite well .. that were far north of theese priced carbs ..

getrdunn 03-18-2015 08:11 PM

I've been amazed to see some numbers even those have pulled on 540's.

ROB FREEMAN 03-18-2015 08:13 PM

also i have a nice brand new pair of donminators that came on my pfaffs id sell for decent price if anyone is looking . i upgrated to my biggs stage seven carbs a month after i got my engines in .. jesse said he had the best cabs in the buisness .. so wtf i bought some .. theese been sitting drained on my shelf since ..

BenPerfected 03-18-2015 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN (Post 4280779)
how can this be possible with so many differant equations n combos out there .. im interested cause my motors deffinately are a handfull around the docks .. i was just going to lock out my timing and be done with it .. im at 750 but certainly dont want to burn something down just slapping on a base line ajusted carb .. just asking cause you seem very impressed with theese carbs .. i have biggs performance carbs on there now that perform quite well .. that were far north of theese priced carbs ..

Exactly...maybe Holley just wanted to take the carb gurus out of the business.

PowerplayDave 03-18-2015 08:29 PM

4150 1000 prosystem

MILD THUNDER 03-18-2015 09:49 PM

There's two carbs I would go with. Quick fuel dominators or holleys new ultras. I have zero interest in the aftermarket "custom " carbs that are supposed to be "spot on" for the application. May work in drag racing OK, but from my experience it doesn't work as well for boats. Having a wideband hooked up gives you a much better idea of what's really going on, and tuning them in the boat live is great.

Modern carbs have come along way.

MILD THUNDER 03-18-2015 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN (Post 4280779)

Hey rob. You might want to consider a Daytona sensors type of ignition that allows a custom timing map for more timing at idle, rather than locking it out.

Full Force 03-19-2015 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER (Post 4280843)
There's two carbs I would go with. Quick fuel dominators or holleys new ultras. I have zero interest in the aftermarket "custom " carbs that are supposed to be "spot on" for the application. May work in drag racing OK, but from my experience it doesn't work as well for boats. Having a wideband hooked up gives you a much better idea of what's really going on, and tuning them in the boat live is great.

Modern carbs have come along way.

these here?

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...Fseid%3Dsrese1