Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to mount gas tank? Best place to buy. >

How to mount gas tank? Best place to buy.

Notices

How to mount gas tank? Best place to buy.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to mount gas tank? Best place to buy.

Changing the tank out on my 2000 33 Scarab AVS. It has minor suface corrosion, but have the deck off so might as well. I have read a lot about using foam, not using foam etc. what is the best way to mount for offshore boat as they take a beating.
Whats the best place to buy it?
Thanks,
Old 03-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought mine from Florida marine tanks and foamed it in.
I shot it with epoxy primer and topcoated it with ppg concept.
I too, read all the "to foam or not to foam" stuff. I decided to foam.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

You should absolutely NOT use foam of any sort around a tank and if you did the open cell is even worse than the closed cell. But if you used either one I would go back and un-use it.
This is the deal. Got an older 18’ Donzi Classic last year. One of the reasons it was so cheap was they cut up the inner liner replacing the gas tank instead of pulling the top off a couple years before. Fixing the inner liner was a lot of work but that was all it was, replacing the gas tank was a lot of money so a new tank was a positive in the deal for me. The tank in a Donzi is under the front deck and under the inner liner so it had to be safe…. When installed it was enclosed in open cell foam and in 3 years it looked like Swiss cheese. The bow eye (for the trailer winch) was loose and let water in. It had nowhere to go and ran over the tank and the foam sucked it up like a sponge. They used open cell (the worst of all) but I’ve seen the same thing with closed cell. It won’t hold water like open cell but it will hold water and condensation against the tank causing rot.
The only way to install a tank is to first coat the whole thing in coal tar. Then when installing it use a few strips of rubber (I used a cut up tractor trailer mudflap) to wedge it in-between the stringers and tank so it won’t flop around. Also used liquid nails as a lube so the tank would slide in and when it dried it also locks it in place. Then screw the tank straps down. With a metal tank there always should be air that can circle around it to keep it from staying wet. Even plastic tanks should never be foamed in.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

While replacing my engine, transom and some other areas, I pulled tank out of my Formula after finding water had softened the wood. The closed sell foam did keep tank wet so while it didn't destroy the tank, it was pitted. Ordered a new tank from Florida Marine Tank and had them epoxy coat it. Will be reinstalling it using 4 pound closed cell foam with rubber strips on hard spots.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

We would always use a product like POR 15 or Rhino line the aluminum fuel tanks completely before install. .