Help - Merc 454 can only get to 3900 rpm wot >

Help - Merc 454 can only get to 3900 rpm wot

Notices

Help - Merc 454 can only get to 3900 rpm wot

Old 06-19-2015, 10:58 PM
dna
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I removed the cap and yes I do have green fuzz on many of the points. The rotor also has some rust. Below are some pictures. What's your opinion. Should I try to clean it, or buy new? Could that have been part of my reason for poor performance? Thanks
Old 06-20-2015, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dont forget to confirm ..18436572. And look for the tag on the tag on the block . Your just not going to see an6 speed with 229 hp through a bravo . Even with a 19 pitch prop .
cap rotor tip - with through hull ex , you will almost if not absolutely always hear the ignition break up from outside and behind the boat when the throttle is opened under load and cylinder pressure sparkoutput demands are highest
Old 06-20-2015, 11:22 AM
dna
Registered

Where exactly do i look for this tag? I took a quick look yesterday and all I could find is a paper sticker on the back end which matches the serial number on the air cover. I could not find a metal riveted tag, but then again it is tight in their and I really didn't know where to look.

As for the cap and rotor, do you guys suggest cleaning it or replace with new, based on the rust on the rotor and green slim on the cap tips. Thanks
Old 06-21-2015, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cap looks like crap ...replace it and rotor ,just because it needs it........
Old 06-21-2015, 01:30 PM
dna
Registered

Do you guys suggest oem for this, or one of the so-called performance aftermarket? Also, still trying to find the tag on my motor to confirm it is a 330hp and not this truck motor some are questioning. Where do I find the tag?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The cap needs to be replaced. You can use a sierra cap and rotor instead of mercury. Or even summit racing sells marine parts now which i think mallory is one of them.
THE PICTURE IS NOT VERY CLEAR. ON HOW BAD THE FUZZIES ARE BUT ONE LOOKS REALLY BAD LIKE IT MAY NOT BE FIRING ON THAT CYLINDER WHICH COULD COST YOU 600 RPMS

Last edited by hullofjustis; 06-22-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:05 PM
dna
Registered

OK - here comes another whopper of a question. How do I get that rotor out? I tried to lightly pull it up and lightly twist, but it doesn't want to come out. I don't want to use that much force in case there are some screws or something? But on the new one, I do not see anywhere to screw to it and can't see a screw on the old one. So how does this thing come out.

As for the cap, it was easy enough. Yes many of the end points had green fuzz or oxidation on them - hoping this was the cause of my issues.

Oh, where do I find the tag to confirm the type of engine I have. Is there a way to also confirm if it is a mag or not - what exactly is the difference between a 454 mag and 454 reg?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A MAG ENGINE HAS FORGED INTERNALS A NON MAG HAS CAST INTERNALS.
DID YOU HAVE A PLASTIC COVER OVER THE CARBURETOR WITH THE SPECS ON THE ENGINE? DOES THIS ENGINE HAVE A RODCHESTER QUADRAJUNK ON IT?
Engine Serial Number: The serial number tag is located near the starter, by the flywheel housing; or, on the rocker arm or flame arrestor cover.

Transom plates: The serial number tag is located on the inner transon plate inside the boat; or, on the upper swivel pin.

Sterndrive Serial Number (separate from engine): The serial number tag is located on the upper drive shaft housing (starboard side or on the back of the housing).

IF THE CAP WAS AS BAD AS IT LOOKS AND THE FACT THAT YOU SAID ONE DAY IT RAN WELL AND THEN THE OTHER 2 TIMES IT DID NOT. THE CAP AND ROTOR SHOULD FIX YOUR ISSUE.
AND JUST PULL THE ROTOR OFF OR BREAK IT IF IT BECOMES TO MUCH OF A CHALLENGE

Last edited by hullofjustis; 06-22-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Registered

The rotor will need to be pried off, it's a tight fit on the distributor. As for the tag, it's usually riveted to the block. Also, if it was a mag it would say it on the spark arrestor cover and would be more than 330 hp.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

OK - here comes another whopper of a question. How do I get that rotor out?

I usually tie it to a 4X4 or Hummer and yank it out. Sorry, I could not help myself.

It should just pull off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.