Holley EFI/DIS Conversion

Notices

Holley EFI/DIS Conversion

Old 06-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley EFI/DIS Conversion

This forum is full of problems so I thought I would balance it with a success story.

I'd like to give credit to Marine Kinetics and Alex Haxby for their expert assistance in my friends carburetor to Holley HP EFI conversion. I built the original 548 with AFR 305 heads, victor jr intake and 4150. It ran great, but always had the characteristics of a carb with no choke. It pushed a Nordic Rage to the low 80s at 4500' elevation. Early 2014 my friend swapped out the 4150 for a 4500 dominator. The boat picked up top speed but the low speed drivability and docking manners got worse. This winter he swapped out the AFR 305s for some custom ported AFR 325s, dominator flange / efi intake and added a Holley EFI with DIS/coil pack ignition system. Going to lake test this weekend, expecting to break 90 with a natural! The efi is awesome, after syncing the timing and verifying the firing order with the separate coil packs, it fired up like a new car. Cranked for maybe 3 seconds and the AFR was already at 13.5:1. Amazing stuff. The engine has never idled so smoothly or been this responsive. This is the second Holley EFI/DIS system I've done and it just keeps getting easier. I'd like to give a big thanks to Bob Madara and Alex Haxby for their professional help in making this a painless transition!
Old 06-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541949[/ATTACH]trim.E2BA34CC-43F7-4B76-A91F-C285EFE6F4EA.MOV
Attached Thumbnails Holley EFI/DIS Conversion-image.jpg  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:39 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Are you doing closed cooling ? Since AFR heads and I take it an aluminum Edelbrock water circ pump plus not 100 % sure of the intake manifold casting material ?

What injectors are you using brand & lbs - Bar psi ? Thanks
Old 06-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The intake is aluminum too. Its a raw water cooled engine but is used only in fresh water lakes. The injectors are Holley 66 lb @ 43psi fuel pressure.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:28 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I thought the intake was Alum but not 100 % about it.

did you coat any of the aluminum parts with the internal coatings out on the market today. Also wondering how well the Edelbrock water circ pump will hold up being Alum.

do you have any experience with their circ pump on a marine app ? I was always going to try one but have not as of yet.

Holley injectors would they be Bosch injectors ?

Not to burden you with questions but later I want to ask about the DIS set up.

Last edited by BUP; 06-08-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541965[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541966[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541967[/ATTACH]

Used the DIS on two 572 CID, made our own mounting bracket, and alternator crank sensor mount. All the engineering and making of those parts, goes credit to Yankey.
Attached Thumbnails Holley EFI/DIS Conversion-dsc00671.jpg   Holley EFI/DIS Conversion-dsc00721.jpg   Holley EFI/DIS Conversion-dsc00722.jpg  

Old 06-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

[QUOTE

Used the DIS on two 572 CID, made our own mounting bracket, and alternator crank sensor mount. All the engineering and making of those parts, goes credit to Yankey.[/QUOTE]
Is this what's needed to do a crank trigger? I guess I would have to pass in that case. Good for you though, as I would love to run that set up. It would just have to be easier than new brackets, shimming accessories etc. I've seen the distributor mounted ones, but why bother; the crank trigger is going to read with better precision.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BUP

did you coat any of the aluminum parts with the internal coatings out on the market today. Also wondering how well the Edelbrock water circ pump will hold up being Alum.

do you have any experience with their circ pump on a marine app ?
I didn't have any of the aluminum parts coated. I guess it would give you extra insurance. I've been running a meziere aluminum pump since 2008 and Trace has ran the Edelbrock since 2012. No issues in fresh water.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Used the DIS on two 572 CID, made our own mounting bracket, and alternator crank sensor mount. All the engineering and making of those parts, goes credit to Yankey.
Those brackets look nice MER!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This is the Coil bracket I designed.
Attached Thumbnails Holley EFI/DIS Conversion-image.jpg   Holley EFI/DIS Conversion-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.