Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   only one company that makes headers ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/327300-only-one-company-makes-headers.html)

FIXX 06-14-2015 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Blueabyss (Post 4317371)

a friend bought a set of those..took him 3 months to get them from over seas..then he had issues with one..i think they yook a year b4 he could use them..

Bajadave04 06-14-2015 04:03 PM

I'm new to the boat thing. But really what's the advantage to cooling your headers other then the engine bay stays cool ? My family has a few muscle cars. 500-750hp. And the header don't need to be cooled. So what's the catch ????

Sydwayz 06-14-2015 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bajadave04 (Post 4317479)
I'm new to the boat thing. But really what's the advantage to cooling your headers other then the engine bay stays cool ? My family has a few muscle cars. 500-750hp. And the header don't need to be cooled. So what's the catch ????

Your car has a transmission, which allows the engine to operate at lower RPM.

Your boat is constantly operating at higher RPMs, thus creating a lot more heat.

Sometimes with open engine compartments, often seen in jet boats, you can run headers that are not cooled.

No way you can do this with the traditional engine compartment and engine hatch.

Bajadave04 06-14-2015 09:23 PM

I know this sounds crazy. But. Is there not a power loss to doing this ? A 2 stroke for example makes more power with a hot pipe,rather then a cold. Just an example.

BUP 06-14-2015 09:36 PM

Also without cooled / water cooled exhaust systems in boats that have enclosed engine compartments , if the engine hatch and interior do not catch on FIRE FIRST - then 4 sure your fuel will boil off from the extreme heat inside the engine compartment - your engine could stall while running or after shut down the engine will never restart because the fuel boiled away from that extreme exhaust heat / heat soak.. Also your engine wiring harnesses will not live very long either inside a enclosed engine compartment with NON COOLED exhaust system nor will your exhaust hoses and exhaust bellows

Baja Rooster 06-14-2015 10:21 PM

The water adds some muffling qualities as well.

SB 06-14-2015 11:18 PM

Catch fire you mean.

Listen, all cars guys that come over to boating get hung up on the exhaust thing 1st. Then the cam.

That includes most all of us.

The next new guy here is going to question the same things off the bat.

This same thread gets started many times a year.

FIXX 06-15-2015 02:27 AM

coast guard regulations..need to be water cooled to keep from catching fire..some guys in the past dont listen and install turbos..