Help with Flywheel or Ring Gear decision

Notices

Help with Flywheel or Ring Gear decision

Old 06-28-2015, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
What's is wrong with flipping a ring gear over? I've done it more times than I can count. With no issues. So could you please explain. Most of the time you end up with the teeth missing in one spot. Why? Because when you shut the motor off this is where it stops and has to restart in the same spot over and over again.
Would NEVER FLIP a ring gear over the tow job will cost more than the new ring gear and the job,,, Don't be cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hire someone with a small crane to lift the motor must be someone near you
Old 06-28-2015, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The ring gear on my Flywheel is flipped and on top of that I had to weld it to the flywheel because the gear cam off a flex plate and the are a different ID. So, if you no anything that's about as bad as it gets because you have a piece of hardened steel welded to cast steel. Not a very good weld cause the two metals cool at different rates and the weld pulls apart. I've used this flywheel for about three seasons and your going to tell me I need a new ring gear?
Old 06-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think BB is joking here. also, there is an angle cut on the teeth that face the starter. now, to pulling the motor. i have pulled quite a few with a 200 buck cherry picker. i take the upright from a generic engine stand and slide it into the cherry picker boom to extend the cherry picker. drill a hole and bolt-pin it in. you then must tie down the back of the cherry picker. then it takes 2 lifts. pick up a couple of feet and slip a small pallet or a couple of 4x4's under engine. drop boom down to shorten chain and lift again. in this case, engine doesn't hafta leave boat, just far enough to change flywheel. and a boneyard flywheel from 96 454 truck will do fine. DON'T USE A 350 FLYWHEEL!!

Last edited by dereknkathy; 06-28-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The ring gear on my Flywheel is flipped and on top of that I had to weld it to the flywheel because the gear cam off a flex plate and the are a different ID. So, if you no anything that's about as bad as it gets because you have a piece of hardened steel welded to cast steel. Not a very good weld cause the two metals cool at different rates and the weld pulls apart. I've used this flywheel for about three seasons and your going to tell me I need a new ring gear?
I just have to ask "why"...Why didn't you just buy a ring gear and put on flywheel...All this ring gear from flexplate and weld to flywheel sounds like a lot more than 20 dollars worth of work ....I can see doing it if a ring gear couldn't be bought in the middle of east bumpuck and it had to get done ,Now.. .But what other reason is there. Don't get mad ,it is a question.Curious minds?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by motor
I just have to ask "why"...Why didn't you just buy a ring gear and put on flywheel...All this ring gear from flexplate and weld to flywheel sounds like a lot more than 20 dollars worth of work ....I can see doing it if a ring gear couldn't be bought in the middle of east bumpuck and it had to get done ,Now.. .But what other reason is there. Don't get mad ,it is a question.Curious minds?
Cause it was a Friday I was trying to go boating on Saturday. Nobody around here stocks ring gears. So I had to make work what I had. After it was installed and running fine I wasn't about to swap it out. It remained this way for some time. I've ran into the same situation with Diesel truck when I worked at a Diesel shop and just had to make due with what you had. Never had an issue with them either. It's not always a perfect world trying to get parts. Sometimes you just have to get stuff back up and running.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:57 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuWMu5OYEXI
Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

wow,your bs is amazing.but i believe most now have your number.

Last edited by mike tkach; 06-28-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: trying to play nice.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 06-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Importrepairguy
Hello, I picked up a Scarab 22 a few months ago. upon repairing a few obvious issues, Ive run into a conundrum with a Flywheel with broken teeth.
Ive spoken to several people and get mixed answers. Im not one to cut corners, however this boat is starting to break my spirits as well as budget.

I need to Pull engine to repair or replace Flywheel, Should I get ring gear and have it swapped or Buy a good used Flywheel? Im also taking this Liberty to change Bellows and Rear Main seal. My engine is a Merc 330HP Carb'd 454 w/ Bravo 1.
I was told by one guy to just do the ring gear. Another told me it could be warped and exchange the flywheel as well as the coupler.
Anything else I should do while here? I have not had boat in the Water yet.

The reason for the answers, I want to order all parts and have on hand, so I can knock this out in a day or 2.

Thanks
replacing the ring gear is a simple procedure, removing the flyweel is the labor part of the whole job... we've flipped ring gears from front to back of flywheels many times depending on where the started is located on a particular build... so yes changing the ring gear is my recommendation.. also if the engine was balanced it may have been part of that equation...