Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Holley 4150 tuning >

Holley 4150 tuning

Notices

Holley 4150 tuning

Old 07-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I would try a later opening power valve. Like a 2.5 or 3.5. Your carb most likely doesn't have screw in air bleeds. I wouldn't mess with them at this point anyway. You have good cruise, good wot, but too much fuel being introduced at 4000. If you add change primary jet, you change your afr at 3000, and wot. . If you change secondary jet, you change wot afr. If you changed PV restrictor size, you change wot afr again. If you change air bleeds, again you'll be changing the curve, as well as the afr at wot,

You have the right amount of fuel going in. You just need to delay the dump of fuel coming from the PV opening too soon. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:22 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

I agree. I wish more carbs had replaceable power valve channel restrictions. Between those, jets, and PV's, a lot of 'secondary enrichment' tuning can be done.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I agree. I wish more carbs had replaceable power valve channel restrictions. Between those, jets, and PV's, a lot of 'secondary enrichment' tuning can be done.
Its sweet. Icdedppl and i just did this on his blower carbs. Boost referenced. Pvcr's were large stock. Unscrewd them, went with smaller ones, afrs went from high 9s, to almost 12.0 at 3500rpm. No jetting changes, and overall fuel curve is very nice. Without that option, he would only be able to really change primary main jets, and that would have been extremely lean at 3000rpm before the pv opens. Having a power valve itself is a nice option, being able to control when it opens, AND how much fuel it delivers , is a cool feature.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:57 PM
SB
Registered

Cool deal.

Furthermore many don't realize, a PVCR is a jet. Who wouldn't want to be able to change it ?

Sure, bleeds are nice to be able to change, but that would get most people up over there carb tuning level.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^
im so jealous of this knowledge, I have a carbed motor and am like the soccer mom driving her minivan, "clueless about whats happening in the engine"
Old 07-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Sure is easier to tune with power valve restrictions and boost referenced carbs where the power valve opens as soon as boost comes in.
If I were to do it all over again with carbs that do not have such provisions I wouldn`t use power valves and just tune with primary/secondary jets.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:34 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by stimleck
^^^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^
im so jealous of this knowledge, I have a carbed motor and am like the soccer mom driving her minivan, "clueless about whats happening in the engine"
Best way to learn:
1)Buy books and read over and over again.
2)Then, get down and dirty...try things you think you've learned and keep good notes on what changes do what.
3)Break schit.
4)Fix schit.
5)Then maybe break and fix schit a few more times.

Then, you'll become an intermediate tuner / repairer.

To become a pro, you'll need to break and fix a lot more schit.

Hah !