Going freshen up 420's >

Going freshen up 420's

Notices

Going freshen up 420's

Old 08-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Just curious, what is the average cost of AFR heads?
http://www.dfperformance.com/afr_bbc325_335.html
Old 08-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 265's are considerably less than the bigger 305 and 325's. I would strongly recommend upgrading to the inconel exhaust valves. Also, if you are buying them fully assembled, it might be a good idea to have guide to stem clearance checked, especially if you plan to run it hard with raw water cooling in a body of water that has cool water temps. That goes for any aftermarket head, not just the AFR's. There is an epic (now closed) thread out there on this - 'nuff said.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
The 265's are considerably less than the bigger 305 and 325's. I would strongly recommend upgrading to the inconel exhaust valves. Also, if you are buying them fully assembled, it might be a good idea to have guide to stem clearance checked, especially if you plan to run it hard with raw water cooling in a body of water that has cool water temps. That goes for any aftermarket head, not just the AFR's. There is an epic (now closed) thread out there on this - 'nuff said.
SHHHH you'll wake the bears!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmaddox4x4
. I ran AFR's on my LS motors in the off road race car and was real happy.

What was this racecar?? Class/Org??
Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Lol

Originally Posted by mild thunder
shhhh you'll wake the bears!
Old 08-14-2015, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phragle
What was this racecar?? Class/Org??
It was a Ultra 4 buggy, four wheel drive off road type racing. I hadn't ran in years and couldn't stand watching it sit in the shop. I pulled and sold the motor, got $9,500 for it and traded the chassis for the boat.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

We played with this for a while.....

Old 08-16-2015, 06:23 AM
Registered

Ok so here's the plan. I spoke with my finance manager, a.k.a "the wife" and got the go ahead to tear them down. If the current heads are in good shape going clean them up and reuse. If they are cracked I will be replacing with Elderbrock marine heads. It currently has Thumper Power manifolds and I'd like to keep to save some cost. I plan on sending the rotating assemblies out for balanceing and inspection. Hopefully I can rerun the pistons but not a big deal if not. My goal is 500HP at not rev past 5,200. I will be converting to roller cam and replacing the crane gold lifters. Probably run a air gap intake and definitely going MSD distributor. My budget is 5k per motor, but any money I can save here will be spent on other updates, gauges, interior, paint and probably rebuild the transmissions. So my main question is what cam to run? I don't see blowers in the future, just don't want to deal with them.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmaddox4x4
Ok so here's the plan. I spoke with my finance manager, a.k.a "the wife" and got the go ahead to tear them down. If the current heads are in good shape going clean them up and reuse. If they are cracked I will be replacing with Elderbrock marine heads. It currently has Thumper Power manifolds and I'd like to keep to save some cost. I plan on sending the rotating assemblies out for balanceing and inspection. Hopefully I can rerun the pistons but not a big deal if not. My goal is 500HP at not rev past 5,200. I will be converting to roller cam and replacing the crane gold lifters. Probably run a air gap intake and definitely going MSD distributor. My budget is 5k per motor, but any money I can save here will be spent on other updates, gauges, interior, paint and probably rebuild the transmissions. So my main question is what cam to run? I don't see blowers in the future, just don't want to deal with them.
MSD distributor will be a definate step down from whatever you have now.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
MSD distributor will be a definate step down from whatever you have now.
I thought the stock mercruiser could use an update. What would you suggest? I've always run msd with little to no issues in my offroad rigs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.