Alpha One Gimbal bearing seal question

Notices

Alpha One Gimbal bearing seal question

Old 09-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alpha One Gimbal bearing seal question

Replacing the bearing in my cousins boat. We accidentally pulled the seal that goes in before the bearing when we pulled the old bearing out. It doesn't appear to have any damage. We are using a greaseless bearing because that's all that the marina had in stock. Is the seal needed or can we toss it to the way side since there won't be any grease to retain anymore? My only thought is that maybe it acts as a shim of sorts that keeps the bearing from going in to deep
Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the seal will slow the water from entering if the bellow,s springs a leak.may as well put it back in.

Last edited by mike tkach; 09-02-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:32 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
the seal will slow the water from entering if the bellow,s springs a leak.may as well put it back in.
Hadn't thought about that. Good call. Thanks for the quick reply
Old 09-02-2015, 10:39 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have written about GB up here in lengths. If so desired search for them.

The newer NON greaseable bearing has no grease seal behind it from OEM mercruiser anymore. This also taught in OEM factory Merc school as well. .

If the grease seal is in from a greseable bearing and you are changing to NON greasable bearing it is your choice to leave it in or pull out. Again your choice. It makes no difference if it stays or goes using the NON greaseable bearings.. Merc also has this me info in their Merc teaching manuals.

But I will say this - U need to order and use the correct GB, it makes difference and depending what year you have.

Again it is very important to use the correct tolerance GB for your app that it is being installed.

Last edited by BUP; 09-02-2015 at 10:45 PM.