Notices

625 Ilmor

Old 09-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 625 Ilmor

Looking for feedback on the 625 and 710 Ilmor marine engines. Are they still being used in new applications and what type of service life are they currently having. Starting to see some used boats with these motors in them. I am a little leery of buying a boat with this power. It would seem they are going to be very expensive to do any type of typical repairs or maintenance to, Starters, water pumps, ignition components, exhaust headers or an overhaul.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Looking for feedback on the 625 and 710 Ilmor marine engines. Are they still being used in new applications and what type of service life are they currently having. Starting to see some used boats with these motors in them. I am a little leery of buying a boat with this power. It would seem they are going to be very expensive to do any type of typical repairs or maintenance to, Starters, water pumps, ignition components, exhaust headers or an overhaul.
Think the motor program is over for the v10. I have rebuilt one lot of the parts are common like the connecting rods are for a chevy pistons are ford with a different notch. Think you answered your own question.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:10 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The Ilmor marine engines are still being produced. The 2015 42 Chief has 725 Ilmors and Indy drives.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I am interested in a boat that is equipped with 625s in it and looking for Typical maintenance and service life. I haven't seen or read about any problems or rebuilds with these motors but there also isn't many out there in service compared ton BBC applications.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:04 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If I recall 100 % correctly the Ilmors in the Chief were bought last year as I am 99 % sure about it. Currently and I could be wrong about this Ilmor is only building the GM small block stuff that many go into Mastercraft Boats. For the V 10 apps I think it will be a very limited production built to order only if even that. Again not 100 % for the V 10's as I have not heard one thing of a new engine being assembled currently.

the V 10's were very good motors. I actually have worked on some thru out and even one this year. Getting parts and someone to fully work on them and the know how is the tougher task.

for the Mastercraft GM ilmor, I see these all the time. Very Good motors as well. they have a 5.7 old standard engine package and the LS packages in them.

Last edited by BUP; 09-06-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanzer
I am interested in a boat that is equipped with 625s in it and looking for Typical maintenance and service life. I haven't seen or read about any problems or rebuilds with these motors but there also isn't many out there in service compared ton BBC applications.
The motor is good some of the parts in them would not be my first choice the connecting rods I think where scat H-beam Ilmore wanted a lot for them that's when we put crowers in it. Think you can find a write up and find that the production is stopped. But they will continue to supply parts for the engines that are running now. The engine that I worked on dropped a valve and split the cylinder. so we sleeved it and replaced the head. Think the head was almost 3k.