Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
WHat ECU to use, Megasquirt 2, Microsquirt, Accel 7 or other? >

WHat ECU to use, Megasquirt 2, Microsquirt, Accel 7 or other?

Notices

WHat ECU to use, Megasquirt 2, Microsquirt, Accel 7 or other?

Old 10-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
One benefit is when you close the throttles the turbos wont want to stop they will be in vacuum on the compressor side good for rough water throttling.
Throwing a compressor wheel into vacuum is horrible for the bearings and seals. Any restriction on the inlet of a turbo robs horsepower and adds heat. I'd do a single throttle body after the turbos with a blow off valve.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofox54
Throwing a compressor wheel into vacuum is horrible for the bearings and seals. Any restriction on the inlet of a turbo robs horsepower and adds heat. I'd do a single throttle body after the turbos with a blow off valve.
Wont hurt the turbo. That's how Formula 1 was done so the turbo did not slow down. No turbo lag out of a corner. But I thing they band it.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we race using megasquirt, great setup, ran our own EFI setup on a procharged boat using it as well, it can't be beat for the $$$$$ it's just not mass marketed like most of the others, and its the ONLY thing they do..you wont have the tech support of some the big names, BUT sometimes that is a absolute joke depending who answers that phone. you only need the MS II to do what you want to do and will work fine, they have some wiring harnesses done now that should help as well, I am not sure on your 60lb injectors though, need to science that out, we are a MS distributor and can help you should you need componants and may have a tune that will get you running..Rob @ [email protected]
Old 10-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by phughes69
This winter I am converting to a efi system on my turbo motors. The carbs and draw thru system just don't mix for me anymore. What I want to run is a simple port fuel injection system. Ill be using a single plane EFI manifold with my intercooler on top. 60 lb/ hr high impedance injectors. LS1 throttle bodies on the front of the Rajay turbos. Wideband O2s in the exhaust for tuning and sanity checks. Boost set to 15 psi. . Ill be using my MSD distributor as the cam trigger and want to run the system in batch fire mode. Horsepower should be in the 600 range. I have a Megasquirt 3 system on my 86 corvette and it seems to run fine. I have been looking at the Megasquirt 2 vs the Microsquirt system. A good friend that works at Accel is recommending the Gen 7 system. He tunes the systems for Accel dealer customers so he know the ins and out of the whole gen 7 system. One of his arguments against the Megasquirt systems is if it is so good why doesn't everybody run it since it is so much cheaper. My argument is because of advertising. He will help me tune the boat no matter which system I choose but he is more familiar with the Accel system. He has sold and tuned the Accel gen 6/7 systems, the FAST systems and the BS3 systems so I have confidence that he knows how to tune the engine. I just don't know enough about them all to make a good decision. What systems have others used and why that particular system? Did you try another brand before settling on what you like now?

Do you already have the ignition? And one other thing that is a good idea is to buy a ecu that is potted will seal it from water and keep the parts from falling of on the inside. Parts came loose on 2 of my ecu's. One more thing is weather pack connectors.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qwkqjotkDJQ
Old 10-17-2015, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm running electromotive. It's easy to tune as well. I gave 72lb injectors on a single plane intake. Vorte charged 540.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

lot of good information,are you sure about running 15 lbs boost.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one other thing, we tried running a MSD dist as a pickup and did not have good results, kept picking up RFI interference after fist POS magnetic pickup failed, ever bought a brand new dist and tried and did the same thing, so I suggest a crank trigger...just advice...also...not sure the simple and EFI should be used in the same statement...
Old 10-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofox54
That is the way it is done now. The turbos have carbon seals on them and the Rajays are one of the few turbos that can operate that way. There will be no restriction on the inlet side. The LS1 throttle bodies are a 3" butterfly and the inlet of the turbo is 3". And any restriction on the inlet side does not build heat. On the outlet yes because you are compressing air. If anything the air would be colder because it would have a lower pressure.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

The MS3 has a self tuning feature too. It is very easy to use. Just type in the AFRs you want on the AFR map. And then you adjust the percentage you want the software to adjust the cell on every hit it makes of the table. You can adjust it from 3% to 50%.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.